Chapter Five

The wheels in my head were turning before I'd even gotten to my feet. The group with the wagons was bandits, that much was clear. That would mean the riders were the villagers from whom the bandits had stolen whatever was in their carts. I was racing toward the town where the chase would ultimately lead in... two minutes? I let out a panicked squeak and ran faster.

If I could get the guards to close the gates with enough time for the wagons to turn, the bandits would be forced to scatter. The horses would either stop at the gate or follow the bandits, but since wagons can't ride through muddy fields, the bandits would be forced to stop long enough for the watchmen to take hold of the situation.

My stomach dropped. The bandits probably had weapons. If they stopped, would there be more danger for the villagers or the guards? Did they have hostages?

I had to think of another way.

My feet hit a patch of mud and I slipped, falling head over heels to the ground near the road, the cold muck getting everywhere. At the same time, the chase bounded past me and an object came careening in my direction. A shout tore at my throat as I threw myself backward deeper into the slush, but someone grabbed me beneath the arms and swept me off the ground just as the object—a wheel as tall as my hip—whirred past and crashed into the mud with a loud splash.

Then I was dragging behind a horse as the rider grappled for a sturdier grip under my arms. We slowed to a near stop and he let me go. I dropped to the ground with a huff, then whirled on him, but he quickly gave a curt nod and nudged his horse again. A breath of desperation rose and I stumbled forward and caught his arm.

"Close the gate!" I jerked my head toward the town. "Close the gate or they'll trample the townspeople, and then find cover as fast as you can! Please!"

I could see the look he was giving me even through the dusty scarf covering his face. Me, a random crazy girl covered in mud, giving him orders.

I pushed him away. "Just trust me!"

After a second, he rode off, but I didn't have time to watch where. I ran back toward the tree, harder and slower than I would have liked with a layered dress heavy with muck, but somehow I made it to my lunch bag and skidded to my knees. I snatched it up and pulled it open, shoving my muddy hand inside and rummaging around until I found purchase, then I snatched the object out and swiveled back, running again toward the chase. The town gates were closing. The bandits were approaching fast.

Once I knew I was close enough to the commotion, I threw the object with all my strength, then cupped my hands near my mouth and screamed, "Get away from the road, quick!"

A few might have heard me, but not in time for them to register what I said before I clamped my eyes shut and covered my face, my skirts slapping against my legs as I stopped. Surely enough, two seconds later a loud explosion sounded and I could see the blinding white light through my hands as the object I'd thrown hit the ground. Shouts and crashes followed as the bandits lost control of their horses, the villagers hitting the ground and running. It was chaos.

But the townspeople were safe.

I uncovered my eyes and jetted for the commotion. I didn't look at the eight-foot flames covering the road in front of the carts, but the light threatened to blind me anyway. The heat licked my arms as I passed it even though I was a good distance away from the fire, then I reached the gates, breathless and partially giddy, and noticed a guard cowering from the flames.

"Mister! Guard!" I waved my arms. "You cursed halfwit!" That got his attention. "We need sand, quick! It's the only thing that'll quell the flame!"

He scowled at my name-calling, hesitated, then ran inside the door to the gate. Meanwhile, the bright light from the flame cast shadows even in the midday sun and a loud fwoom accompanied them. Someone was cursing, and I realized a fight had broken out between the bandits and the villagers.