Chapter 10: Total Stranger

Roger

Roger walked back into the green room. He wasn't paying attention to anything, his movements slow and unconscious. He didn't know what to feel or think first. The confusion hurt.

It was Brian who clapped him on the shoulder. 'Hey, what have you done with Ginger?'

A rush of clarity hit Roger. 'Nothing, she's outside – I'll ask Deaky to take her home.'

Brian's face fell. 'Oh, she not feeling well?'

Roger felt terrible.

'No, she's pretty bad.' Roger said, his own part in her grief showing.

Christ, he'd shouted in her face. She cared about him. Ginger. The pieces were fitting together slowly, if they still could without breaking.

'Are you alright, Rog? You look weird. Profound sort of weird.' Brian said slowly, frowning at his friend who had never looked lost in thought ever.

'Roger, your girls are getting bored!' Freddie cried.

Roger looked up at Brian, awake again. 'No, I'm done with them.'

Roger pushed his way through the increasing amount of people in the corridors between that room and the exit. His pulse was up and he would have killed for a cigarette but it wasn't the time. The main concern that was fueling his increasing speed was getting to Ginger before she left. If she hadn't already. He broke through the exit door. The strip of tarmac was empty. Frustration tightened his chest but then he saw a solitary figure emerge from a dark alleyway. It was Ginger. She was holding her arms to her body, her face pale and presence weak. Tears glittered her eyes yet she was over the worst of the upset. She was merely wallowing in the aftermath of the fight. Roger strode towards her meaningfully. Adrenaline coursed through his body. He stopped just before her.

Don't be mean. Her silence said.

He touched her face with one hand, covering her cheek. She closed her eyes, tears falling from her darkened lashes to under his palm. He wasn't sure if he should kiss her, worried that it wasn't the right time. Instead, Roger put both arms around her and held her close. Her head moved to rest on his upper arm, she held him around the middle and one arm closer to his shoulders. He felt her relax in his embrace and so did he.

Several long minutes passed, neither of them giving any inclination about moving. Roger rested his head upon hers. Their collective heartbeat had slowed way down.

'The others will wonder where we are.' Ginger mused, dozy.

'I don't care quite frankly.' Roger murmured into her hair.

He felt like the cat which had got the cream. His usual sky-high libido had slowed right down to a contented purr. And he liked it.

'John will. He's still the new guy remember.' Ginger reasoned with compassion that Roger so very much loved.

He lifted his head from hers and she looked up at him. Her tears had dried but she still held tiresome grief of her emotional burden on her brow. Roger was going to make sure to alleviate this by tomorrow.

'Okay.' Roger told her with a kind smile.

Ginger felt warm but distant as if she didn't quite believe it yet. She wouldn't believe it as long as he held her in his arms.

'But you might want to go to the ladies first, your make-up looks shit.' Roger stated and Ginger released her hold on him, stepping back and looking shocked before breaking into a smile.