Part 2 Quran: Literacy of the Prophet (ﷺ)

The very first revelation of the Holy Quran took place on the 15th night of Ramadhan in the year 610 AD. At this time the Prophet (ﷺ) had reached the age of 40. For many years it had become His (ﷺ) practice to visit a small cave in mount Hira, situated around 3 miles from the city of Makkah. The Prophet (ﷺ) would retreat to this cave in solitude and meditate there for many days. He would take supplies of food and water and engage in long prayers.
.
As the years progressed these periods of solitude became more pronounced extending His (ﷺ) stay from days into weeks. During the month of Ramadhan Prophet (ﷺ) would keep fasts and spend the entire month in this spiritual state of solitude.
“Ramadhan is the (month) in which we sent down the Qur’an....” (2:185)
.
In a Hadith related by Ayesha (r.a) the Angel Gibraeel (as) came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said, ikra, “Read!”.
He replied: “I am not a reader”.
The Angel then held him, pressed him hard and released him and again said, ikra, “Read!”.
The Prophet replied: “I am not a reader”.
The angel held and pressed him hard for a third time and said:
“Read, in the name of your Lord who created. It is He who created man from clots of blood. Read! Your Lord is the most bounteous, Who has taught the use of the pen. He has taught man what he did not know”. (96:1-5)
.
These were the very first verses of the Quran recited to Prophet (ﷺ). In recent times, in interpreting this Hadith many scholars have called the Prophet (ﷺ) illiterate. Other commentators also wrongly interrupt the adjective of “Ummi”, that was ascribed to the Prophet (ﷺ) in the Quran, as meaning un-lettered. This is a wrong and misguided view. The exact meaning of “Ummi” means someone who has had no formal education, or been instructed or taught by a tutor or teacher.
.
The Arabs of that time used the word ummi to describe themselves since no formal system of education was available meaning most Arabs had no recourse to learn how to read and write. But they had strong memorizing ability. They can memorize the thing very fast and easily.
The Holy Quran states:
“It is He who has taught the Quran. He has created man. He has taught him the intelligent speech”. (55:2-4)
.
So the Prophet (ﷺ) was not an ignorant or illiterate man but had been divinely educated by God Himself. Allah (swt) had bestowed him with intuitional guidance which is apparent from his personality. The Prophet (ﷺ) never worshipped idols nor did he indulge in gambling or drinking. He had a famous reputation for being truthful and honest and had no hint of any immoral practice in his daily life.
.
Quran revealed in form of Wahi which was made open to Prophet (ﷺ) by Allah Almighty in different forms, either during sleep, while awake, with imprint on His heart, or Gabriel (as) brought the verses in his original or humanly forms from time to time.