Chapter Four

The next morning, I decided it would be best to go get some food for breakfast. I grabbed my backpack and walked out of the building, careful to hide myself.

  I had a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach, and I thought to myself that maybe I should've waited. No point in turning back now. I found an old, abandoned gas station down the road. It was all busted up, the windows and glass door were broken. I walked in the gas station, careful not to slip on water that was spilled all over the place.

  I walked to the ice box with the drinks and grabbed a few bottles of water, putting them carefully into my bag. I grabbed some food and then I heard something move from behind me. I grabbed my gun, ready to shoot, but it was knocked from my hand.

  "Shit." I whispered. Then I was hit on the back of the head, hard. I fell on the hard floor and I smacked my head. Everything around me slowly faded as I felt myself being picked up bridal style. I then fell into an unconscious state with my head throbbing.

   When I woke up, I was on the ground in a room full of wooden crates. As my vision slowly cleared, I sat up to take in my surroundings, but it was very dark. Suddenly, bright lights came on and I shut my eyes tightly.

  "Grab her." A voice said. I looked up to see three Invaders walking my way. I started crawling backwards until I hit a wall. Still too weak to fight back, two of them pulled me up by my arm with ease. The third one stood in front of me, a large syringe with green liquid in his hand. There was a tube with clear in the other. My face held an expression of pure fear and my heart beat sped up immensely.

  The other Invaders held my arms in place as tight as possible. I tried to pull my arms free but they were too strong. I kicked the third one in the chest, and he just growled at me. The Invader with the syringe punched me in the nose, then plunged the green liquid into my arm and I screamed in agony. I felt a warm sensation spread through my body as the liquid was being pumped. I bit my lip as tears formed in my eyes.

  "Help us, and the antidote is yours." One said.

  "No." I said shakily. He shrugged, then threw me on the floor. The three Invaders left me in the room, and I started feeling sleepy. I closed my eyes, letting the feeling take over.

  When I woke up the second time, I was back in the gas station. My gun and backpack lay next to me. When I was conscious enough to feel once again, there was a painful burn in my arm. I shrugged it off and got up. I touched my nose, which has stopped hurting. It didn't feel broken and I didn't feel dried up blood. I stumbled when I stood up completely, and when I was stable enough to walk, I made my way back to the base.

  I wasn't sure how much time had gone by, but it was dark — very dark. I kept going until I reached the base. When I opened the door, I heard multiple guns cocking. I put my hands up when I saw Tj, Levi, Madison, and Julia all with their weapons pointed at me. Levi immediately ran over and pulled me into a hug.

  "Where the hell have you been?!" Levi asked. I was shocked that he yelled at me.

  "Getting supplies, I didn't realize how long I had taken." I lied. Levi just pulled me into another hug. I don't think he believed me, but I don't think that mattered right now. I was just happy to be back, safe.

"You look tired." Levi said, "Are you?"

"Now that you mention it, yes." I said.

That night, I didn't get much sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to see everyone asleep, everyone except Tj.

"What really happened, why were you gone so long?" Tj asked. I should've known he'd see right through me. He's been my best friend for as long as I can remember.

"You can't tell anyone this, especially Levi." I said, Tj nodded, "I was attacked by Invaders. I really did go out to get supplies and stuff, but before I could leave, my gun was taken from me and I was knocked out. When I woke up, I was in the dark room full of wooden crates. Three of them walked in, two grabbed me and one pulled out this giant syringe and put it in my arm. He said to help them, and the antidote was mine. When I said no, they just took me back to the gas station I was at. My gun and backpack were both with me when I woke up."

"Heaven—"

"Tj, you can't tell anyone. Swear it." I said, looking at him with pleading eyes.

He sighed reluctantly, "Fine. But if it bothers you, you come straight to me. Swear it."

I nodded, "Fine."

I hated lying to him, but everyone had enough on their shoulders. I wasn't increasing Tj's worry — or anyone else's.

After getting everything off of my chest, I was able to go back to sleep. It wasn't as peaceful as I would've liked — but it was better than nothing.

  The next morning, Madison was only awake. She smiled at me and I smiled back.

  "I was wrong." She said with a sorry look on her face. I raised my eyebrow, "I told you Levi would never like you—I was wrong."

  "I — huh?" I asked, I was really confused.

  "I'm sorry, for ever being rude to you." Madison apologized. 

   "It's fine." I shrugged.

That afternoon, everyone but Levi and I went to get supplies. Food, blankets, drinks, more amo for our guns, the usual. I sat next to Levi by the fire, my head lay rested on his shoulder. He looked at me with worry in his eyes.

"You've been off, are you okay?" Ian asked.

"I'm fine." I lied, "I guess I'm just a little shaken up by everything."

"Nothing's going to happen to you while I'm here, I promise." Levi whispered before he placed a gentle kiss to my head.

I believed it.