Chpter Six

We looked behind the building to see a girl our age, bloody and bruised. Julia and I dropped what we had and ran over to her.

"What happened?" I asked.

It was the Invaders. They did this, they have so many people held captive." She said, voice strained. She showed us her arm, she had the black spot, too.

"Where did that come from?" Julia asked, worry laced in her tone. Little does she know.

"A toxic chemical, a type of poison they inject into your bloodstream, they use it to slowly kill off humans. They put it in your arm and it slowly kills you day by day, it makes you weaker and weaker. It can't be stopped, not without the antidote. They give the antidote to people who oblige to join them. And drop off people who don't, people they know will die. They beat them, stab them, cut their skin off for experiments. It's horrible." She explained, Julia and I looked at each other in horror.

  "I-is that what happened to you?" I asked. She nodded.

   "Where do they keep them, the people?" Julia asked.

   "The military base a few miles away from here." She said, "There's nothing left for me to do but die."

  I sniffled, "We can help you—"

   "No, you can't." She said, "You can't stop the venom, you can't stop them. Just leave me."

   I was going to say no, but the life drained from her eyes as she took her final breath. Julia and I looked at each other, both teary eyed.

   "We have to goto that base, we can't let all of those people die like she did." I said, Julia nodded.

   "There are people there being tortured and experimented on. If there's a small chance we can save them, we have to take it." Julia said.

  "Do we tell the others?" I asked.

  "I don't know if we can do this alone." Julia said.

   "You're right." I said, "Let's go back, we can explain what happened once we get there."

   Julia and I got up, and we headed back towards our base, silently mourning the loss of a girl we never knew. My panic had grown, I was gonna die, no "if" about it. Was this what my dream was letting me know? Was it warning me of my death, which was sure to come?

Once Julia and I got back, we went inside to see Madison, Levi, and Tj all talking about where we had went. All eyes went on me and Julia once we walked in.

"We need to tell you something." Julia said. She didn't give anyone time to ask us of our whereabouts.

"Go for it." Tj said.

After we had explained everything, Julia and I were both tearing up. I was on the verge of tears because I knew about my death and because of what the girl had told us.

"We have to get to the base, we have to help." Tj said. Even he was tearing up.

"I know." Julia said, "That's why we told you."

"We'll leave later, sound good?" I asked. Everyone nodded.

"We should get everything ready, we have a lot of walking ahead of us." Levi said. We all walked over to our things, ready to pack. I tucked my gun in my belt, making sure it was hidden.

   "Hey." I said, sitting next to Levi, he smiled at me.

  "Hey." He greeted, "Are you doing okay?"

  "Yeah, I'm actually pretty good right now." I said, "You?"

  "I'm good, too." Levi said, lacing his fingers with mine. I smiled, a small blush spreading on my cheeks. For someone who had just discovered they were going to die, I was in a pretty good mood.

"Is that everything we need?" Tj asked. We had just finished packing our bags.

"I think so." Ian replied. We all climbed out one of the windows, and we set off for the base.

"Okay, so, we should be there by nightfall." Julia said.

"How are we going to get in?" Madison asked.

"Well, they have tons of vents, and entry points on the roof. All we have to do is crawl through the entry ways on the roof and crawl through the vents." Tj explained. It was a pretty good plan, but I was an asshole; I decided to point out the small (huge) flaw.

"Good idea, but how exactly are we gonna get on the roof?" I asked.

"You can never just go with one of my plans, can't you?" Tj playfully asked, I just smiled and shook my head.

"Most military bases have ladders on the side so we can climb up those." Levi said, "At least that's what's in the movies."

"Great, so our grand plan is riding on something based in movies," I said with a sarcastic eye roll.

   We walked for a few hours, and then we were finally at the base. It was swarming with military trucks, tanks, you name it. We hid behind a wall so we wouldn't be spotted.

   "How are we going to get passed them?" I asked.

   "Did you see those glasses they wore the day they attacked us? They're blind, they rely on sound. All we have to do is be extremely quiet." Levi explained, I nodded. We all quietly ran over to the side of the building, being as quiet as we possibly could be. They didn't hear us, so we were able to get to the side of the building. And sure enough, there was a ladder here.

  "You first." Levi mouthed to me. I nodded and started climbing, Julia following, then Madison, then Levi and Tj. We were all on top of the roof, and I could easily smell blood from the roof. Julia and I looked to each other, then away.

   "Follow me." Levi said, so I did.