Awaken

-
"Looks like a success."

'Mmm...'

"It's small."

"Well she needs time to grow."

"She?"

"Ah, it's female. Sir. The subject has female genitalia."

"Don't go getting attached doctor, none of these things ever last more than a few months at most."

"I understand that sir, but I think this one will do just fine. We made adjustments to the DNA structure before we continued the growing process-"

"Don't get attached doctor. It's just an experiment."

"...yes sir."

"Good."

'What are they talking about? What's just... I'm tired...'
-----
Tap. Tap. Tap.

Nnng...

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Stop that.

"What's wrong with it? Why isn't it waking up?"

"We noticed signs of consciousness prior to now so we filled the tube with sedatives. Let her- it, let it shake them off first."

Who's talking so much? Can't they just let a girl sleep in peace? A small yawn escaped my lips and I shivered. A cool liquid entered my mouth following my breath and flowed down my throat. Something told me I shouldn't be able to do that but it worked all the same. I shuddered again and finally opened my eyes.

I started at the men in lab coats staring at me intently. It was pretty freaky honestly. I tilted my head trying to figure out what words to use so as to convey my annoyance at being woken up. It had been a good nap after all. One man leaned closer to me before glancing at the one beside him.

"...why are it's eyes purple? Isn't the object here secrecy?"

"She's curious and her- ah, other features are showing. They'll turn brown when she's put them away."

"They change with it's emotions?"

"Purple is the natural color as a result of the growth serum. They change orange when she's angry and brown when the extra features are put away."

I chirped regaining their attention.

I tried to speak like they were, moving their mouths and making understandable sounds but I couldn't figure out how they were doing that exactly. After a few minutes of attempting, I gave up choosing to stare back at them in the hopes of acquiring telepathy.

"What's it doing?"

"Attempting to communicate I believe. She's vocal cords are developed but it hasn't used them before so it's struggling. She'll get the hang of it."

"Not sure I'm looking forward to the thing talking but if that will allow it to be more useful."

I attempted to move forward and smacked into an invisible wall. I rubbed my head ruefully and glanced around trying to see what I hit. After groping around for a few minutes, I managed to find an unseen object around me. I pushed on it attempting to put pressure upon the object with curiosity.

Maybe if I pressed hard enough it would break off and let me walk?

"Is it trying to break out?"

"Eyes are still purple. It's just curious again. Remember, this is her birthday. We've pumped her full of information but she's still never seen anything before. Like knowing theory then being allowed to do practical work on the same subject."

Birthday? Today is my birthday? Hooray!

I danced and wiggled around with excitement my exploring of the invisible wall temporarily placed on hold.

"...are you sure this one is... okay in the head?"

"She heard us say it's her birthday so she's excited. She's perfectly stable. I hope."

I ended my mini celebration and felt slightly disappointed there wasn't any cake. I wonder what cake tastes like. It seems thay eveyone enjoys it but I don't remember having any myself. I glanced our at the men in lab coats talking about my health and diet.

My parents maybe?

I finally noticed the cool and fluid sensation surrounding me and checked around. At first, nothing looked too different. Then I realized I was in some sort of liquid. Which I was breathing. My brain helpfully informed me that wasn't possible with also couldn't refute that we were doing just that.

Maybe that's why I'm in here. No one's supposed to breathe water like a fish and I don't think I was a fish. I'd be a pretty exotic fish if I was though. Like, a mermaid without a tail. It was a pretty cool thought and I chirped to myself pleased by the idea.

I heard tapping and glanced up as the second scientist waved at me. I smiled and waved back happily. He made a face and it was really funny. I flipped backward before moving forward and making the and mimicked the face he made.

He looked so silly!

"She's playing," he told the other scientist helpfully. "It's really fascinating and it's far easier to tell her emotions than other subjects. Her tail is wagging even."

Tail? Maybe I was a fish after all.

I twisted myself around and managed to see a long black and silver tail attached to me. Curiosity swirled within me and I tried to make it move. I twitched several muscles that all ended up being the wrong one before I finally managed to wiggle the tail. I turned back to the scientist and waved my tail with triumph from my accomplishment.

The main scientist chuckled and nodded approvingly and I danced around in excitement once more. He made more faces at me until the second scientist called him back. They talked out of my earshot for a while. They kept glancing back over here so I knew they were talking about me, and finally the first guy came back over.

"Hello there little one," he greeted. "I am Dr. Marcus Antonio and you're in my care."

I tilted my head the-man-who-made-funny-faces and then chirped cheerfully.

"Keep trying your voice little one." Marcus instructed. "I know it's hard, but once you get it it's easy."

I grumbled but tried regardless. I skwacked, screeched and growled but continued to struggle with forming words. The scientist waited there patiently giving an encouraging nod whenever it looked like I was going to stop. Even though all of the failed attempts hurt, I could feel myself getting closer and closer to what I need to do to form words.

"H-hello- He-loo Dr. Marcus." I stuttered out as best as I could.

A wide grin grew on his face as the other scientist nodded approvingly.

"Come along now Dr, leave 0X13 so we can go."

"But... She needs a name!" Marcus protested.

The other man glanced back seeming to be faintly irritated.

"I told you not to get attached now let's go." He said firmly.

Marcus sighed making to leave before he glanced back at me and leaned very close to the glass. The pointed ears on my head that I just discovered swiveled in his direction and I leaned closer to the glass.

"Hello Amaniana, it's nice to meet you."

He walked away swiftly but I just smiled utterly thrilled to have a name.

Amaniana. A little long...

Amani.

Yeah, I think I like that.