I. Morning glory

I was shopping for ingredients at the marketplace of Azuchi town and I passed by a flower stand when the shopkeeper called after me.

'Lord Masamune, take a look at these flowers!' She was a little old lady.

'Okay.' I sighed. I had no intention to buy flowers but I didn't want to be rude to her. She was selling really beautiful flowers... My gaze lingered on a pot of blue ones.

'Oh, the morning glory. Very special and delicate flowers. The vines converge, twist and tangle, they symbolise the bond between lovers. They bloom in the morning and die by nightfall. Like a fleeting love...' She smiled gently.

'Hm...' Her words left me wondering. Then it hit me. Ana... She died a year ago. It seemed so far away now, I almost forgot.

'How many would you like, my lord?'

'I don't know.'

'The vines grow new flowers every day, my lord...' She smiled and cut a couple vines full of lovely blue flowers. She gave me the flowers and took the money.

'Well, not these ones.' I let out a chuckle. 'But thank you, they really are beautiful.'

I had to make one more stop before going back to my manor.

'Greetings Han!' He turned his ears towards me.

After I found out that Ana had gone missing, I headed straight to the stables. I'd thought that if she had taken the horse, she might have lived. When I found Han in his stall, I lost all hope... He sensed that his beloved Ana was gone. He was sad and refused to eat or move for a long time. I felt pity and kept him. Ana would have wanted me to take care of him too. He mourned with me... Occasionally, I took him out for a ride and he was nothing like that devilish beast anymore who kept bucking me off. She changed him, just like she changed me...

'How are you today?' I patted his neck. He snorted. 'Good. Look, I bought flowers for Ana. She left us a year ago. Can you believe it?' I remembered her face, her laughter, her kiss. I still missed her sometimes.

'I don't know where to put these. She doesn't have a grave. We never searched for her body. I hope her soul found rest...' Han lifted his head and nuzzled my shoulder. He understood... I looked into his eyes and petted his forehead.

'I don't know why I bought these on the first place. Do you want them?' He sniffed the flowers. 'Here, you can have them.'

'See you later, friend.' I left the morning glories there for him to eat. I kept only one.

I looked at the fragile little flower in my palm. It has already started to wilt. Just like her... She bloomed beautifully and withered in my hands... A year ago, I couldn't believe she threw away her life. Now, I can hardly believe she lived. When I crossed the bridge, I tossed the flower into the river and watched it float down with the stream. I evoked our parting kiss and I heard her saying Goodbye, Masamune! An old scar ached anew.

...

Kenshin was worthy for the name, God of War. He led the attacks firing up the moral of his men everyday just like I did. On the third day of our war against the Uesugi-Takeda I finally had the chance to face him as Mitsunari switched my army to the left wing to support Hideyoshi's men flanking Kenshin's elite soldiers. I spotted him in the front line. I shouted commands and galloped to confront him. He seemed untouchable, arrows avoided him, blades repelled from his sword, men fell around him.

'The Dragon of Echigo. Finally, we meet on the battlefield!' We were circling around in an intense stare down.

'Rumour has it, you are a worthy opponent, One-Eyed Dragon!' He raised his sword and struck down.