XI. The wedding

Everyone was looking at her. She wore a gray silk kimono with a whirl of white flower petals on it and a pale pink obi with golden cicada details. Her hair was loosely braided into a crown with wildflowers in it. She wore similar flowers in her hair when I carried her in my arms because she'd lost her sandals. The breeze played with her stray locks in a way that made my heart ache. Her face was not painted traditionally. She looked natural but magically beautiful like the queen of the forest fairies. Her lips were tinted with a passionate, deep red colour. I wanted to taste those lips so badly... As she gracefully passed by, heads turned after her. No wonder they were staring, she was an unusual phenomenon. Not just because she was a Westerner... She wore her kimono like a princess but wore her sword like a warrior.

Those captivating hazel eyes found me. As she walked towards me, my heart stopped and my breath caught. Her smile was like the first warm rays of sunshine after winter. It felt like falling in love with her again. I was just about to reach out for her hand when she looked to the side and took Mitsuhide's hand. My daydream shattered and reality hit me... I was the groom but Ana was just a guest.

I was waiting for the bride when I looked for Ana's eyes but she was talking to Mitsuhide. He leaned close and whispered something to her and she laughed. I felt something pinching me inside.

'Cheer up, man! This is a wedding, not a funeral.' Hideyoshi stepped by my side and punched me on the shoulder.

'Hideyoshi, I'm not sure I can do this.' I sighed.

'This is your duty.' He looked at me with a stern gaze. Then his eyes drifted to Ana. 'You two are bound by something more powerful... something unbreakable. So, don't worry!' He smiled and patted me on the back.

'Thank you!' I nodded. I felt reassured.

I had to concentrate hard during the ceremony. There were so many things to pay attention to. I got the sake changed to water because I didn't want to crash my own wedding. When I finished, I glanced at Mego who looked very nervous so I winked at her. She looked away with disgust. She would never look at me like this... I met Ana's gaze and she winked at me reassuringly. It was funny in a sad way. When the ceremony ended, I couldn't see her anywhere. She is gone... She left me... My heart was throbbing with pain. I left the shrine with Mego walking next to me. I spotted Ana in the garden further away, she was leaning against a tree, looking up to the sky. She was crying and my heart was breaking for her. I might be asking too much from her. I wanted to run to her and hold her until the tears stopped. But all I could do was watching her from a distance. Mitsuhide found her and offered her a handkerchief. I got a bad feeling and I couldn't look away. Then he opened his arms and she stepped into his embrace. I couldn't believe my eyes as they held each other... I stopped.

'Kitten...' I whispered. What are you doing?

'What?' Mego frowned.

'Nothing.' I shook my head but when I looked back at them they were on the way to rejoin the other guests. What was that? I was so jealous, I wanted to kill Mitsuhide.

After the ceremony, we went to the banquet hall. Mego refused to look at me but smiled at everyone else. We received countless congratulations and good wishes. I got shoulder pats from Nobunaga and the guys.

'Princess Mego, Masamune, congratulations to your marriage! I wish you a long and happy life together!' Mitsuhide bowed to her and smirked at me. You snake, if you try to steal Ana, I swear...

'Princess Mego, you are the prettiest bride I've ever seen.' As if she heard me, Ana secretly stroked my hand and laced her fingers with mine briefly. No one noticed. Her touch said a thousand words. She was there for me. No one was going to steal her away from me. 'Masamune chose well.' She smiled.