Chapter 11: Preparations.

Ruby, Sarah, and Mitch enter the greenhouse after Clem opens the door for them. Mitch looks down at one of the dead walkers. "Not bad." Clem scoffs. "Don't act like you care." Mitch just looks away.

Ruby walks past all the plants. "Oh, look. Wild ginger, eastern prickly pear, Jerusalem artichoke, false Solomon's seal." "And hear I thought I was a nerd." Sarah says. Clem walks over to her. "You're a bookworm. There's a difference." "Of course, I like to read." "More than AJ does at least."

"Let's just find the barbed wire. And anything else that might be useful." Mitch says before he starts searching shelves. Clem rolls her eye before she walks over to Ruby. "You seem happy." "You can only eat the same bland rabbit stew so many times before you go crazy. These herbs are gonna do wonders for moral, you wait and see." Clem smiles before she starts looking around herself.

"You find anything useful on those shelves?" Sarah asks Mitch. "What do you think?" "Sounds about right." "You know, Clem's barbed wire idea is smart. I'll give you two that. Those assholes try and climb up our walls, they'll tear their guts out. I'd kinda like to see that." Mitch goes back to searching.

Clem walks over to several plants and grabs a trowel next to them. "Find something?" "It'll make digging holes easier." She goes back to looking around when Sarah starts coughing and gagging. The other three start laughing when they see her toss a partially eaten mushroom to the side. "What?" "We'll just say that was for science." Clem says. "Yeah...for science." Sarah shakes her head and leans against a wall. "You guys can search without me then." "Well, good, because I have an idea." Clem grabs a crowbar from a table and walks over to a cabinet they missed. "Oh dear. You two better hide from her." Sarah sarcastically tells Ruby and Mitch, which gets them both to laugh again. "Oh, shut up. All off you." Clem then uses the crowbar to pry the cabinet door open, revealing a bunch of barbed wire of a shelf. "Barbed wire. A lot of it too." The other three walk over to the cabinet. "That should keep the raiders from climbing our walls." "Hey. We can use these." Mitch kneels down in front of several bags of fertilizer. "For what?" "We can make bombs out of these." "Bombs? Are you serious?" Clem asks. "Totally. It's the kind of stuff I made back home." "He used to blow shit up. That's why he's a troubled youth." "Guilty. I just need some propane and something to create a spark, and we'll have ourselves a nice little homemade explosive."

They all go back to searching around, but it doesn't take long for Sarah to come across a door in the back blocked by a shelf. "If I remember right, there's a science lab through that door." Mitch says as he walks past her and over to the shelf. "Come on. Help me move this thing." They both grab the shelf and push it away from the door and to the ground. Mitch leans against the door and listens for any noises. He backs away when there's nothing. "Okay, let's see what's inside." "I've got it." Clem walks over and opens the door, heading inside the lab while grabbing her knife.

Suddenly, a walker grabs her arm, which causes her to drop the knife. "Oh, shit!" She pulls against the walker as Mitch walks through the door and past her. Sarah runs in and grabs the dropped knife as Clem slams the walker's arm against the wall, which get the hand to break off the rest of the arm. "Fuck, fuck! Gross!" Clem shakes the dismembered hand off her. "What's going on? You all right?" Ruby says as she runs into the room. "We has a scare, that's all." Mitch calmly says.

Ruby looks and gasps when she sees the trapped walker. "Oh no." "What?" Ruby walks closer to the walker. "Who was she?" "Ms. Martin. Our nurse. At the school. She stayed, when all the others left. God, she looks... you can barley recognize her. She's just...just like all the others." "I'm sorry, Ruby." Clem says. "I j— I just wish I could make her look like she used to." Ruby turns away from the Ms. Martin walker. "One day, we came out looking for food. Walkers attacked us. Thought we could fight them off, but there were just... there were se many. Ms. Martin told us to run, so we did. She taught me how to patch people up. Stitching, local anesthetics, painkillers, fever reducers. I don't think I can...take care of her." Ruby looks at Sarah. "Would you? I'm sorry." Ruby turns away.