Year two

Hermione jumped on to the train and waved to her mother through the door until she was out of sight. She had insisted on catching the train so that no one would notice that something was off, even though she was dying to get back to the draughty old castle. Hermione sat herself in an empty compartment and sighed. She dug a book out of her bag and started to read. It was one of her father's books from his lab. Minerva had said that she could take it as long as it didn't get damaged or lost and that she would take it to her as soon as she arrived at the castle.

All was going well until she noticed a group of Slytherins outside her compartment door. She put her father's book in her bag and dug out one of her own books that she had brought from Diagon Alley when her mother had taken her to get her school things for the year. She stayed silent and prayed to Merlin that they would walk pass and not cause any trouble. How wrong she was...

...they burst into her compartment with their sleeves rolled up and wands out in front of them. She went to pull her own from her pocket, but she was too late, they had fired stunners at her and she collapsed into the seat behind her, her book bag snuggled protectively behind her back.

"That's what you get for being the filthy off spring of McGonagall," they spat at her before walking out.

Hermione let her tears fall and sobbed. When the train pulled to a stop at Hogsmeade station, she dragged herself out of the compartment and painfully headed towards the castle. She didn't get into one of the thestral-drawn carriages; instead deciding to walk the entire way. She arrived at the large entrance hall when dinner was in full swing. Snape was stood just outside the doors to the great hall and smiled briefly at her before going in and informing her mother. Minerva was standing in front of her within a matter of seconds.

"Oh Merlin, Hermione I was so worried." Minerva brought Hermione into her arms where she collapsed, her legs no longer being able to hold her weight. Her muddy form fell against her mother. "Hermione!"

Severus came rushing out from the shadows and picked the young girl up in his arms and headed towards Minerva's chambers, using the portrait shortcuts. He lay her down on her bed and quickly waved her wand over her.

"How is she Severus?"

"She'll be okay. She seems to have been hit with two stunners; any more and I doubt she'd be here now." Something in his heart pulled and he brushed a lose stand of her hair from her face. "She just needs to rest and eat something when she wakes. It's a good thing they only hit her legs."

Minerva nodded and sat on the edge of her daughter's bed. "Thank you Severus," she whispered.

It took just one week for Hermione to be back to her normal self. It took a little longer for her legs to completely heal, but she was happy and glad she was able to get on with her lessons, both with her classmates and her private ones with Severus.

~0~0~

Hermione ran through the corridors of the castle after having another run in with a group of Gryffindors. Somehow, news of her parent's death and then adoption by Minerva had gotten to the students and no one would leave Hermione alone. She came to an abrupt halt on the second floor corridor when she saw something glinting off the wall up ahead. She slowly walked forward and gasped at what she saw

'THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED ENEMIES OF THE HEIR BEWARE'

Hermione brought her eyes to something hanging from one of the candle holders, just below the writing. She gasped again at seeing Mrs. Norris still and unmoving. She heard the corridor start to fill with students, but she continued to stand stock still and stare at the wall in front of her.

Draco Malfoy came and stood behind her and hissed, "You'll be next Mudblood."

Hermione collapsed at his voice and sat on the floor, her eyes still glued to the red writing.