Year seven

The first thing Hermione did when she arrived at Hogwarts was go and see Dumbledore. Her mother had told her that she would become Headmistress after the welcoming feast as Albus was leaving on one of his trips to defeat Voldemort with the boy who lived and his red-headed friend. Hermione was furious! Severus had tried to persuade her to leave it, but Hermione wouldn't. She stormed through the door that led to the Head's office and demanded the attention of Dumbledore who was currently packing everything away to leave room for Minerva.

"Why Dumbledore!"

"Why what Hermione?"

"Why did you put my mother through hell last year? And now your doing it again! You expect her to be able to cope with teaching her usual lessons, looking after the wards and doing all the paperwork that comes with being headmistress and professor."

"She chose to be my deputy, Hermione."

"No, you chose her. Yes I very much doubt she would have minded if you'd given her little bit of notice, but no, you decided yesterday that you were going to spring it on her."

"She'll be absolutely fine, she has Alan."

"My father can only do so much, Dumbledore!"

"I thought he's in perfect health."

"He is, but mother is stubborn, you asked her to do this not my Dad. If she has another break down because you have forced her into this, you won't just have me to deal with. You're lucky my father isn't up here as well."

"Hermione, Minerva will be fine at Headmistress and still be able to hold up her other position to. You're underestimating her."

"No! You're overestimating her! You'll see. She's worried enough about everything that's going on and you're just adding to her plate. Stop doing it. There is only so much that she is able to handle." With that Hermione turned on her heel and left the office.

Dumbledore stood in the middle of his office and starred at the spot where Minerva's daughter had just been standing. Minerva herself had said she would be fine had holding everything up. But, she had neglected to inform him of the happenings of while he was away.

Hermione arrived down in the chambers that she and Severus shared in record timing. Severus was waiting for her and brought her into his arms the moment that she entered the living room. They stood there together for a while, before Hermione pulled back to go and get herself ready for the welcoming feast. When she was ready she went and wrapped her arms around Severus' waist and rested her head on his chest.

"Can I sit with you at the head table tonight, please?"

"Not tonight love. Things are going to be hectic enough."

"Okay." Hermione nodded and closed her eyes. She was already exhausted and the feast hadn't even begun. Severus rubbed his hand up and down her back, soothing her, and it took all the energy she had left not to fall asleep.

"Let's head up, love."

Hermione nodded and clung to Severus' hand. He pressed a kiss to her crown and wrapped an arm around her waist allowing Hermione to hold onto his robes. The teachers all knew about their engagement as Minerva had insisted on throwing a small party for them, so when they entered the Great Hall like this, it didn't bother any of the members of staff, apart from Minerva and Alan who both knew something was wrong. Hermione sat on the last seat on the Gryffindor table so that she was as close to Severus as possible. Severus took the seat next to her and continued to hold her close to him. He whispered to her occasionally, but he grew worried when he found her drifting off to sleep.

"Don't go to sleep love."

"I'm sorry Severus, I'll try not to."

"As soon as you've eaten head on to our rooms, okay?"