Chapter Eighteen

New Orleans, 1776: Katri sits at her desk writing in a journal, she's been doing this for years, since the beginning, she doesn't share with people, she keeps it all locked away. But these journals. She touches the spine. These are for her baby. The world they could have been part of. The things they missed. But now.....now she has nothing. Well, she has Jack she supposes. And Jack sleeps curled up around her neck, his tail looped around her arm. Her brothers do not understand her affection for the cursed animal, but she made a promise. And she likes the monkey. A messenger knocks on the door frame and she looks to him.

"Your pirate friend is back" the messenger tells her. "He's been thrown out of the tavern" Katri sighs and shakes her head. "He was shouting for you"

"Thank you for telling me" she stands and moves towards him. "You can go" he nods and runs away. She sighs and shakes her head. "Jack" she scolds.

................

Katri finds Jack propped up against a stable wall, she shakes her head and approaches him.

"Oh, Jack" Katri whispers sadly, he groans as he wakes, shifting his head to look at her.

"Katri?" he asks before passing out. She looks to Jack the Monkey on her shoulder who gives her a 'bitch please' look. She shrugs.

"He's our friend" she offers, Jack makes a noise and then looks away crossing his monkey arms over his chest. Katri grabs human Jack and hauls him up out of the mud.

............

Sparrow groans as he wakes, sitting up right in the plush bed. He smirks and strokes the bed sheets.

"Nice" he teases slightly.

"I though so too" Katri leans in the doorway with monkey Jack.

"Where am I?" he asks.

"My bedroom. In the Abattoir, New Orleans" she answers, he smirks at her.

"I'm in your bed" he teases.

"In your dreams" she counters.

"Every night, darling" he puckers his lips at her. She sighs.

"What was it this time?" she asks moving into the room, Jack shrugs and looks away.

"I lost the Pearl" he admits. "Again...I don't think I am getting her back this time, Katri"

"You always get the Pearl back" she argues. "That's what you do" he sighs and looks to her.

"How is it....you never get any older?" he asks her.

"I'm cursed" She admits.

"Like the monkey?" he asks her glancing to the monkey.

"Sort of" she answers. "Mine's more.....ancient" he raises an eyebrow. "I could...curse you" she offers walking towards him. "Forever young" she offers, he perks up. "Stronger. Faster. Immortal"

"I'm...listening" he offers.

"It's not all sunshine and daisies" she warns.

"How bad can it be?" he asks, she raises an eyebrow and then lets out her vampire face. Jack's eyes widen.

"Drinking blood" she answers. Jack scrambles back on the bed.

"Too much rum!" he shouts. "I've finally had too much rum!" she rolls her eyes.

"Think about it Jack" she offers. "You could sail the seas forever, isn't that what you've always wanted? Isn't that why you went after the Fountain of Youth? You could be stronger and faster then your enemies....what's a little blood drinking in comparison?" they share a look. "Jack" she coos. "What say you?"

....................

Jack leans in the doorway watching Katri stand in the rain, letting it wash over her as she looks up at the sky, a cigarette between her lips.

"So that's it?" Jack asks as Jack the Monkey runs past him for Katri who doesn't even flinch as Jack jumps up to her shoulder. "Quick snap and it's done?" she turns to him.

"Yes, how do you feel?"

"Hungry" he admits. "Or is it thirsty now?" he asks, she nods.

"Both" she offers. "Come on, we'll go find you someone to feed from" she heads inside with him.

......................

Katri is at the harbour again with Jack, three weeks of him getting used to his new skill and he is fidgeting, Jack is not suited for stationary, he belongs with the sea, which is why she got him a surprise. Katri uncovers Jack's eyes revealing the ship docked in the bay.

"It's for you" Katri tells him. "It's not the Pearl" Katri adds Jack. "But..."

"She's beautiful" he whispers, admiring the new vessel. "Wow...you really didn't have to..."

"Well...I promised you the sea, forever, so...." she pats his shoulder. "If you ever get bored" she offers. He looks to her.

"If" he agrees. "I don't know how to thank you for any of this" he whispers.

"Enjoy it" Jack holds out his arms and she shakes her head. "I don't do hugs" she scolds pointing at him and then his new ship. "Just go..." he touches the daylight ring on his finger and smirks.

"To the edge of the world" he tells her, she nods.

"And beyond" he is quick and grabs her in a hug. She groans and smacks the back of his head. He backs off of her and smirks before he heads to his ship, she shakes her head and rolls her eyes in response.