34. The One With the Turkey: Part 1

Alice's POV

"It smells delicious in here!" FP announces as he comes downstairs into the kitchen. I smile from the kitchen, mixing the pie filling, while Jughead looks on with anticipation.

"When's mom getting here?" JB asks her father.

I roll my eyes, but I know it's important for the kids to see Gladys. As much as I hate to admit it, she isn't as bad as I thought she was--she's actually kind of fun. 

"She said she'll be arriving in about an hour."

FP comes up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist, "Do you need a break babe? Do you want me to take over?"

"ALICE DO NOT LET HIM TOUCH THAT PIE!" Jughead shouts from the dining room, where he was setting the table with JB.

I laugh, "Honey, you're hovering again." 

FP frowns, "No, I'm not--I just want to make sure you aren't overdoing it."

"I'm fine, babe. But--if you want to make yourself useful you can help Betty with the sweet potatoes."

He kisses my cheek and agrees. A few minutes later the front door opens, and Polly and the twins step inside. 

"Happy Thanksgiving!" she announces, walking into the kitchen with the kids.

"Gamma!" The twins collectively squeal and I kiss them each on the forehead. 

"Hey--what about me?" FP pouts and pretends to cry, making the twins giggle.

"Gampa!" Dagwood says and I smile, because it's the cutest thing ever. FP grins and reaches out to take the toddler from Polly, blowing a raspberry against his cheek, and in return making Dagwood giggle like crazy.

"How are you feeling, mom?" Polly asks, smiling as she reaches her free hand out to touch my belly. 

"Oh, I'm hanging in there. It's getting ridiculously uncomfortable--I don't know how you did two." 

She laughs softly, "Yeah, it wasn't the greatest feeling in the world--but totally worth it." Polly presses a kiss against Juniper's head. 

The toddler smiles, resting her head against her mother's chest. "Big tummy," she says pointing to the obvious.

We both laugh, and I roll my eyes, "Thanks for--that, sweetie," I say sarcastically, tickling her. 

"Juniper, do you remember what's inside Grandma's tummy?" Polly asks her daughter.

"Baby!" she replies, and my heart swells at the cuteness. 

Polly smiles, "That's right! There's a baby in here," she rubs my belly, "Oh! Was that a kick?" 

I nod, "Sure was. Juni, do you want to feel?" I ask the toddler and she nods. "Put your hand right here," I say, placing it on the spot the baby is moving. 

Juniper giggles when she feels it. She pulls her hand away and then puts it back with a squeal. "Does that feel funny?" Polly asks her.

"Baby!" she says, trying to feel the baby kick again.

"Can you give the baby a kiss?" Polly asks. Juniper nods and Polly lets her lean down to kiss my belly.

"Aw, thank you, honey. The baby loved that," I tell her and she smiles. 

Polly sets Juniper down and she holds her arms up, wanting me to hold her, "Gamma up!"

"Grandma's busy trying to make dinner, baby," Polly tells her.