cuatro

"No one will know about what happened."

"Pero Gio..."

I heard Gio sigh. Nagpanggap na lang akong tulog kahit naririnig ko ang usapan nila, I really didn't want to eavesdrop, but them—speaking so freely about what happened just a couple of hours earlier makes me want to listen and rip my ears off at the same time.

I've heard of these kinds of issues before. Ilang beses na... I can't even count them on my bare fingers anymore, because apparently... people have been attacking me even before already. Mostly girls. Because they just keep on using this 'you're privileged and we're not so we deserve to hurt you' card against me every single time.

And I can't even defend myself... Dad said I should stand up for myself lagi, but sometimes... it meant danger for the family name. I can't risk hurting others because that would mean tons of articles about me, couple of hours later, saying I'm abusive and cruel... and that I'm hiding something up on my sleeves.

As if I'm hiding things.

They already made me look like an open book na parang gusto kong sumalang sa showbiz.

I never wanted any of that.

But I can't run away.

"I'm sure Brandi will also want to keep this information secret, Sanchez. She was hurt, yes... but she'll hurt more if this reaches the Vice President," he said, a hint of sadness was evident in his tone. "You know how protective they are of Brandi... and of their family name, Uno. Once they heard of this, they'll probably lock her just to ensure her safety... and to avoid any scandals. Just like what happened to her once."

Uno sighed, "Bahala kayo," he mumbled. I wanted to see his reaction... but I kept my eyes shut. "Just tell her I already left. Still need to study for Criminal Law."

"Should we escort you back home?"

"Hindi ako lumpo, kaya ko'ng sarili ko. Si Brandi ang bantayan ninyo," sambit niya. "She seems like a tough nutcase, but she's just trying to contain it all." I wanted to smile upon hearing what Uno said, it wasn't a compliment—I know. But, still... knowing that there's still a small part of him that... probably cared for me.

I mentally sighed.

As if that's possible, Brandi.

"If she ever asks about what happened, just tell her that she lost consciousness and I've got nothing to do with her," he said. "I still hate her anyway," he added before going out of my room.

I didn't want to admit it to myself... but it hurt, I did expect that Uno would tell Gio that he still hates me, but it hurt. But I couldn't understand why. Why would he hate me? Weren't we on the same page?

Or, maybe it's because of that... maybe he sees himself on me. But I can still manage to smile. Maybe he finds it unfair.

But, did he never think that I also find it unfair? I was never free for my entire life. It was never easy... and still, I keep on choosing to keep a blind eye.

I've been keeping a blind eye my entire life. And it sucks. Pretty much every day.

Hinintay ko munang lumipas ang limang minuto bago ako gumising, since lumabas na rin naman si Gio para magbantay sa labas ng kuwarto ko. Pagkagising ko, eksakto namang pumasok si Zachary sa loob.

I tried to smile.

"Brandi..."

I faked a laugh, "Don't start it, please..." I said, almost pleading, but my throat felt dry. "Water..." Agad namang tumayo sa Zach para kumuha ng tubig sa refrigerator. Tinanggal niya muna 'yung cap bago ibinigay sa'kin. I smiled timidly and murmured my thanks before I downed one bottle. Agad namang kinuha ni Zach 'yung bote pagkaubos ko.