Weep Not for Us

A son can bear with equanimity the loss of his father, but the loss of his inheritance may drive him to despair - Niccolo Machiavelli

Cyprian. My son who I'd loved up until last year when he burned my heart into ash. The very creature I'd sworn to protect was the same who'd burst into my throne room and challenged me for the crown, along with his little soldiers. The son who'd lashed out and attacked me without a second thought when I'd laughed at the absurdity. The one who now sat on my throne lording it up over my kingdom. The Betrayer.

I was aware of Machivelius trying to read my expression, though it remained carefully blank as the memories of that day swirled in my head like a storm of feathers. "What did he want?" I asked evenly.

"He'd come for my allegiance, though of course I refused. I was aligned with the Corvus Kingdom because of our friendship and because you were and still are its Queen, Thea. When Cyprian took the throne, my allegiance to the Kingdom dissolved. He came to convince me to give it back."

"Stupid boy. You'd have thought I'd taught him nothing except for the fact he displaced me."

"Did you know he goes by The Raven King now?" Velius asked wearily, rubbing his fingers across his temples.

"I don't keep up to date with everything Cyprian does."

Velius raised an eyebrow at me.

"Alright, I did know." I grated out through red lips under the Thorn King's scrutiny. He nodded, the large interwoven branches making up his crown wobbled as he did.

"Then I suppose you also know what company he keeps these days?"

Actually, I had no idea. I'd been keeping up with guard patrols, kingdom events and Cyprian's ravens. His social life hadn't been top of my priority list. I shook my head, black waves tossing as I did. "Apart from the servants, guards, emissary and birds? Haven't a clue."

"He didn't come to my court alone Thea. He came with Kaireclya."

That caused me to blink a few times and stare at Velius as though he'd grown another head. "The Jester Queen?! We are talking about the same Kaireclya who only leaves Asylum Towers once in a blue moon aren't we?"

"Yes I was taken aback too, but they both stood in the middle of my throne room as if they had every right to be there. She stood next to Cyprian throughout the entire exchange giggling in a creepy manner and grinning with those jagged teeth of hers. She was there as proof I believe, to back up his statement he'd formed an allegiance with her and to further convince me to do the same."

I didn't know what creeped me out more, the fact Kaireclya was old enough to be Cyprian's ancestor or the fact he thought the lethal lunatic would encourage other Royals to give him allegiance.

"Were either of them wearing magenta?" the dreaded question left my lips before I had chance to quash it. But I was here in my professional capacity as an Investigator, traitorous son or not, in any other investigation I'd ask the same in light of the evidence.

Machivelius pondered for a moment, the slight breeze ruffling his long blonde hair as he did.

"No," he eventually sighed, closing his eyes again. He seemed to be doing that a lot during my visit, like the weight of words and thoughts had become much heavier. "They were wearing their official formal attire, Cyprian in black and Kaireclya in blue and gold. No hint of magenta anywhere."

"But this visit happened just before Arella's death?" I pressed, trying to obtain as much information as possible. Maybe this visit was nothing, maybe it was something but I wanted to be in possession of as many facts as possible before I made that judgement.

"Yes, a day or two before. No more no less." Velius confirmed.

"Right." I acknowledged, my mind currently working as fast as the crow flies. This development definitely required monitoring, murder or not. Allegiances were not something a Royal would consent to lightly, as it bound their kingdoms to another and created an obligation to support that kingdom, whether that be in war, marriage or finances. If Cyprian truly had created an allegiance with Kaireclya, what was her motive for accepting and what the hell had he been thinking?

"Velius, I'm going to have to get back to my office and go over everything that I've discovered here today. I'll keep you updated on anything I find or any new developments." I ended, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"Yes, yes of course," the Thorn King muttered seeming faraway. "The blood magic portal that brought you here should still be open. It will only allow you to pass through anyway, well you and Katriel. It's her specialty after all."

I slowly got to my feet, waiting for Machivelius to do the same but the King did not stir. "If you don't mind, I'd like to sit here for a little while longer. I'll be alright Thea, the guards are here with me and Arella. You'll come to the funeral?"

I swallowed. "Of course Velius."

"Good. Now go catch my daughter's killer." Like before, I recognised a dismissal when I heard one. Hesitating only a second, I turned and carried on back through the Thorn Garden, leaving its King still and silent on the stone bench.

***

Emerging back through the portal onto Draconis Street, the archway immediately began to break apart, startling the dragon that'd been sniffing around it. "Hey Aurelius," I called as a large chunk of branch landed on his snout.

"Corvus Queen, what was this thing?" the dragon seemed puzzled, still gazing at the disintegrating foliage.

"Just a blood magic portal, turns out I needed to take a short trip to the Thorn Kingdom." I shrugged, giving the illusion it was no big deal. The dragon still seemed unsure, but thankfully didn't press any further. "Something I can help you with Aurelius?"

The dragon let out a grumbling noise. "Just wanted to inform you that I dealt with that man Draper as you asked, regarding the business gremlin. You were right, he doesn't like you."

"To be fair Aurelius, not many people do. However, they have the decorum to at least try and be civil. Draper's incessant arrogant howling is on par with a banshee's wail." Thank the crows Aurelius had agreed to sort out Draper, I felt the urge to obliterate the Detective every time we crossed paths and if he had any sense, he'd have picked up on it and shut his mouth long ago.

"They took the sprite.09 and gremlin into the Bureau for interviewing and whatever else they do. It is all settled now."

"Well thanks for coming out here and letting me know. I can officially stamp Patrice's file closed." And open up a new one named "Arella".

"My pleasure Corvus Queen." The dragon bowed before taking off into the dark sky. I watched him glide effortlessly through the night before turning and heading up the street. Wasn't I going to ask him something? Immediately, I stumbled as my boot caught that infernal wonky cobblestone. Oh right.

Trudging back to my office and living quarters for the second time in a day, I climbed the stairs and fiddled with the key in the lock once more. Pushing the door open, I threw my keys on the table and headed straight for the kettle again. If there was ever a time for a Blaithwater tea, it was now.

After all, it was going to be a long night.