Chapter 20

I sighed while sitting down on the couch in the living room. Rico sat next to me while handing me coffee. "You ok?" He asked.

"Oh just peachy. My criminal boyfriend is talking to my secret services father." I said. Rico smiled.

"Boyfriend?" He asked. I pushed at his chest.

"You know what I meant," I said. Violet started giggling. I look at her spread out on the other couch laying in Gale's lap.

"You called him your boyfriend." She giggled. I roll my eyes.

"Not what I meant Violet," I said. She continues to laugh. "It's not funny," I said. Rico starts cackling.

"It's kinda funny." He said. I looked over at Gale. He looked angry.

"What's wrong?" I asked. He looked at me.

"Nothing." He said. Violet looks up at him.

"Baby, what's wrong?" She asked while sitting up. He looks at her.

"I'm just mad you lied to me and got shot." He said. I looked down.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to help." She said. I look up at them and to see him hugging her.

"I know baby but you can have died." He said.

"But I didn't. I'm right here." She said. He places a kiss to her cheek and I smile.

"You two are the cutest," I said. Gale looks at me while a smile. Miguel's bedroom door opens and out comes Oscar and then dad. Miguel comes out a minute later looking irritated. I stood up.

"Gale, take Violet home," Dad said. I looked at him and then Miguel. But he was avoiding my gaze.

"Yes, sir," Gale said getting up. Violet spares me a look.

"Daddy, can we talk for a moment?" She said. He nods and gives Miguel a look and walks out the door. I walk up to Miguel but he stays quiet.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said going to walk back into his room. I followed him as he takes off his bloody shirt.

"That look you had on your face wasn't nothing," I said. He looks at me. "Tell me what's going on?" I asked.

"He said he'll help take down my father." He said. I put my hand on his chest which he grabbed. "Aria don't." He said.

"Miguel tell me what he said," I said. He looks into my eyes.

"Go home with Violet and Gale." He said.

"Miguel-."

"We can't be together." He said.

"Is that what he said?" I asked.

"No, it's not. He made me realize how much danger I put you through just keeping you at a short distance. I'm not good for you Aria. I never will be. You're the daughter of a man of the law and I'm a man against the law. We aren't meant to be together. You told me I make you feel safe but I put you in danger by having you in my life." He said. I took a step back.

"Right," I said looking down. "You know you were the first guy to ever notice anything different about Violet and me besides Gale and my dad. The first one to ever notice my laugh was different." I said. I didn't have the courage to look him in the eyes. I turned around and walked out.

I got into Gale's car and felt so numb. The drive home was quiet and when we got home I ran upstairs. I locked myself in my room. I grabbed my blanket and curled up on my bay window. I brought my chin down to my knees and closed my eyes.

"Daddy, momma isn't herself," Violet said. I took a deep breath as he looks at me.

"What do you mean girls?" He asked.

"Momma sometimes blacks out and she-she." Violet couldn't finish. Daddy looks at me. I take off my jacket showing off bruises left by her. His eyes went wide.

"Oh my goodness." He said.

"I told you to keep that jacket on didn't I child?" Momma yelled. I turn around only to be stabbed with a knife. I cough.

"Carry!" Daddy yelled at her. I fell into his arms.

"She's not ok," Violet screamed. I cried. Daddy looked down at me.

"Violet call 911." He yelled. She grabs his phone off the counter. "Stay with me Aria." He said.

I gasp for air. I opened my eyes to see that I fell asleep on the bay window. I brought my hand down to my scar on my stomach. "Can't sleep?" I heard. I look over to see Violet coming into the room with her blanket. I sigh and get off the bay window and sit with her on the bed.

"I had a nightmare about her," I said. She looks down.

"I've been having them too." She said.

"Vie what happens if she breaks out of the Asylum?" I asked. She looks up at me with tears in her eyes.

"She won't. Ok? Dad made sure she can't hurt you or me ever again." She said.

"But it's a possibility," I said.

"That's why we left New York. So she can't find us. Ok? We are safe." She said. But she didn't even sound sure.

"You're scared aren't you?" I asked. She nods.

"You guys don't have to be." We heard. We turned to the door where Gale was standing with his hands in his jeans. "I will protect you from her. No matter what it takes." He said walking over to us. He sat on the bed and Violet leans on him.

"Is there a chance she can find us?" I asked him. He gives me a sad smile.

"Don't worry princess. If she does escape the Asylum we will get a call saying so. Until that you can stop worrying." He said. I nodded even though it still worried me. "Try to get more sleep." He said patting my leg. He picked Violet up and walked out. I sigh and grab my phone.

"Hello?" He answered. I took a deep breath.

"I had a nightmare," I said. The phone went dead. I fall on my bed regretting that decision. A few minutes later a knock comes from my window. I look over to see Miguel opening it. I gave him a soft smile.

He took his shoes off and his shirt. He picked me up and laid in my bed. He set me on his lap and I laid my head on his chest. He rubbed my back and I closed my eyes. "I didn't think you were going to show up," I said honestly.

"I told you I would." He whispered. I gulped.

"She's in every one of them," I said. I listened to his heartbeat.

"Who is?" He asked.

"My mother," I said. He kept rubbing my shoulders.

"Why?" He asked. I stare at the closet door.

"Because she hurt me," I said.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I took a deep breath as my eyes began to water.

"She wasn't stable. The doctors said she split personality disorder." I said. I took another deep breath. "One day she my mother and the next she's a completely different person. She would look at me like I was a demon because Violet and I looked alike. She even called me one." I said.

"Shhh, you don't have to keep going." He said. I wiped my tears away.

"She stabbed me." I cried. I felt him tense up. "She took a steak knife and stabbed me," I said calmly as tears rained down my cheeks.

"Aria close your eyes and listen to the sound of my heartbeat." He said. I closed my eyes and listened. "Just relax." He said.