| one |

━━━━━━ ・━━━━━━

Lara glanced down at her phone, a notification from Twitter that read, Rumor: Jimmie Johnson to announce retirement. Her stomach clenched, she hadn't heard anything about it. Lara had been hoping -- and working her butt off in the Xfinity series to prove to her Grandpa that she was the driver who needed to take Jimmie's spot when he retired. But she hadn't heard anything, meaning her grandfather had given the spot to somebody else.

Lara kicked the dirt as she walked towards the garage. Her biggest fear was that her career's watermark would be the Xfinity Series and it seemed that her biggest fear was happening now. She didn't expect or want the ride because she was Rick's granddaughter, she wanted the ride because she knew that there wasn't a driver that worked harder in and out of the race car to be the best than she did.

"Hey Lara," Ryan greeted as she entered the garage.

She smiled, making her way over to him. Ryan was one of the only Cup drivers that bothered to talk to her. Most scoffed that was just there because she was Rick Hendrick's granddaughter."Are the rumors true?" He asked, his voice low. "I figured if anybody would know, it'd be you."

Lara shook her head as she leaned against a toolbox next to Ryan. Her eyes drifted across the garage, connecting with Chase's. He had never been shy about his disdain for her. It puzzled Lara, if anybody should sympathize, it should've been Chase. But he didn't, and he scowled anytime she was in proximity of him and especially when she was talking to Ryan. "I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming either the rumors are false or Rick found another driver." She inwardly cringed at calling her grandfather by his first name, but she always felt awkward calling him Grandpa to other drivers.

"Hey," Ryan put his hand between her shoulder blades, "I'm sure that's not it."

Lara's cheeks heated up at Ryan's touch. She had had a crazy crush on Ryan for as long as she could remember. But pure, sweet Ryan would never love somebody like Lara, so they were doomed just to be friends, as much as that thought pained her.

"Lara," Rick strolled through the garage, "Let's talk."

Ryan's hand quickly dropped from her back. "I'll talk to you later," He murmured in her ear. "Good luck."

She followed her grandfather back to a conference room in the media center."You've probably heard the rumor." Her grandfather started, stoic as ever. "And after a lot of thought, I think you're ready to drive at the Cup Level."

Her stomach flipped at his words. Lara had hoped that her grandfather would offer her the spot, but now that it was actually happening, she felt queasy. Slowly, she nodded. "Thank you."

"Obviously, you know that there are formalities that we need to take care of so be in my office Monday morning." Lara could tell he was in team owner mode, his voice sharper than usual.

"Okay." She nodded.

"Just one thing." Rick winced at what he was going to say next, "Your teammates are off limits dating wise, okay?"

Lara let out a little laugh. "Trust me, Grandpa, I would never date any of them." Because I'm in love with Ryan Blaney, she finished in her head. They sat there in a semi-awkward silence, both unsure of what to say next.

Rick broke the silence first. "I'm proud of you." His voice softened, "You have earned this, don't let anybody ever tell you otherwise."

She wrapped her arms around her grandfather. "Thank you for always believing in me."

━━━━━━ ・━━━━━━

"Hey." Lara's eyes jerked up from her phone. Parties weren't fun when you couldn't drink, and your grandfather was everybody's boss, so nobody was willing to give you anything either. Her eyes widened when she realized it was Chase sitting next to her.

"Hey," She replied quickly, returning her eyes to her phone.

"I don't think we've ever talked." Chase's Georgian drawl was faint, but it sent chills up and down her arms.

She bit her tongue, swallowing a sarcastic comment. They were sharing a garage next season, she knew she probably shouldn't piss Chase off yet. "No, I don't think so."

"You're a really talented racer." Chase took a swig from the beer bottle Lara hadn't even noticed that he was holding, she had been too busy trying to figure out why Chase was talking to her now.

"Thanks." Lara looked around at everybody else chatting and laughing away, having a good time. She wished that she had brought Ryan so she could have a good time too, but she didn't want to come off wrong since they barely knew each other.

"What do you say we get out of here?" Chase's voice buzzed in her ear.

She rested her head on his hand, "Why would I want to do that?"

Chase shrugged, "I don't know, because this party is boring?"

Lara thought back to what her grandfather had said about dating teammates, but she shook it off. He wasn't asking her out, was he? "And what would we do?" She questioned.

Chase's smile faltered for a moment before brightening again. Lara could tell he wasn't used to being questioned like this, "Whatever you'd like."

Lara thought for a minute before deciding that she was just hanging out with her new teammate, nothing more. "Okay." She stood up from the stool that she had been firmly planted on. "Let's go."

━━━━━━ ・━━━━━━