Chocolate Makes Everything Better

I had anticipated the squint, the stare, the look up, then down, then back at my face. I had anticipated the double take, the surprised gasp-laugh, the excited shriek, the frozen shock. Except none of those things happened. Aubrey stared in grim shock, then stepped out, closing the door behind her swiftly.

"What the hell, Nev? What're you doing here?" her voice was a low whisper.

I raised my hand in a wave hello, grinning lamely, "Missed me?"

Aubrey stared at me like a I had just grown a second head, clutching the door so hard that her fingers were turning a worrying shade of white. There was movement in her bedroom window, a shadow falling a cross the curtain, and she lunged suddenly, dragging me to out of sight practically into the middle of her mother's prize rosebush.

"When did you get back?" Did you speak to anyone else?" She was gripping my arm tightly, and my smile faltered as I saw the intent look on her face. 

"No."

Aubrey's shoulders sagged, her grip on me loosening as she let out a rush of air, running her fingers through her long brown hair. Something played on her features, an expression close to relief, and I found my palms suddenly warm and damp. She was silent for a moment, then, as if she had just remembered, drew me into a swift hug. She was leaner than I remembered, and the tips of my fingers caught strands of her dark hair that now had blonde highlights running through in summery waves.

We disentangled ourselves, still standing in the shadow of the bush, and looked at each other for the first time in years. I felt Aubrey's eyes intent on my face, and I looked down at my feet, suddenly unable to move my tongue properly.

"You look so different," her voice was a low whisper, "You're a whole new person."

"Yeah, well," I shrugged, my hands fidgeting randomly. A vicious thought entered my mind that I should've worn something with pockets.

"You should've called, Nev." She shook her head, a frown creasing her brow. " It's not- you really should've called."

For the first time in my life, I had nothing to say to my best friend. Not because I was lost for words, or overcome with emotion, but because I had the strange feeling that  I was speaking to a stranger. The silence stretched for endless seconds and I shifted my feet, suddenly wishing that I'd called or texted- done anything but show up at her house like an idiot. 

That's when the door opened, a figure silhouetted in the doorway. From where I stood in the shadows, it was obvious she couldn't see me, and I couldn't make anything out except light reflecting off white blonde hair, and a foot tapping in annoyance. When she called out, her voice was light, haughty and very obviously irritated.

"Hurry up Aubs, whats taking so long?" 

Aubrey's eyes locked with mine, and I saw the admission in her eyes. I knew then that she would not invite me inside, and that in my absence, something had irrevocably shifted. She angled her body to fill the gap in the door, twisting her head back and called over her shoulder:

"Just those Jehovah's Witnesses again. I'll be right back up".

Together, we watched the girl climb back up the stairs, moving with the careless sort of grace that comes with familiarity. When she was gone, Aubrey turned around to face me, and I felt a smile tug at my lips, my morbid sense of humour rearing its head at the worst possible moment.

"Well, no sense standing around here when I've got work to do. You know, spreading the word of God and whatnot."

"Nevada-"