Scene 1

(ARTEMIS is on stage. Enter APOLLO Stage L)

APOLLO: Artemis, Artemis, I've met the most exquisite creature!

ARTEMIS: (partially disinterested) For the love of the gods, Apollo, who did you turn into a swan this time? You know, father doesn't appreciate your dates eating all of the bread at family dinner.

APOLLO: Now, sister, don't be cruel I wouldn't want to change this glorious man into any other shape. He has grasped on to my affection and held on tight. With his beautiful long brown hair that flows through my fingertips like the beach sand, his youthful glow which brings life to even an immortal such as I, and his refined Spartan physique. Oh, my heart just flutters at the thought of him. Even the god of poetry isn't able to fully encapsulate his beauty. Oh, Hyacinth, how I adore you.

ARTEMIS: (mocking) A Spartan, you say? Great warriors, but I can't imagine that any would have a taste for the arts. Especially taste enough to satisfy your hunger.

APOLLO: He is not simply any Spartan. He's a prince! A connoisseur of all the arts most pristine. Oh, how I adore being with him: hiking the steep Spartan mountains, sitting down to play the great sonnets of old, engaging in the sports of his country, it's all so magical.

ARTEMIS: Can he shoot a bow and arrow?

APOLLO: Initially, no, but he caught on quick for a mortal man. Although, for him, I'd have all the patience in the world.

ARTEMIS: Then why don't you invite him over? Too afraid that dad might pounce on him?

APOLLO: (sighs) We both know that stopping father from doing anything is a losing battle. Alas, the problem is another man has caught the eye of the youth and I fear that Hyacinth hasn't decided who will win his heart.

ARTEMIS: (still mocking) How could anyone compete with a being as effervescent as you?

APOLLO: My thoughts exactly! Hyacinth is great in all aspects, basically the mortal equivalent of me. Though while I always see the truth, Hyacinth has yet to see the truth that I am the only one good enough for him.

ARTEMIS: Well who's the competition?

APOLLO: (laughs) I'd hardly call him competition. His name is Zephyrus, god of the west wind and I almost feel bad for the chump for challenging his charm against mine.

ARTEMIS: Tread carefully, brother, our family isn't known to be the best when it comes to dealing with mortals, especially the pretty ones.

APOLLO: Artemis, I am not like our dear old dad, Zeus. I don't plan on turning into a satyr, a swan, or a shower of gold to have my way with him.

ARTEMIS:(disturbed) I had almost forgotten about the shower of gold.

APOLLO: I'm also not like our dear old stepmom, Hera, defacing any person who father glanced at, although I suppose smiting the fool, Zephyrus, wouldn't be the worst idea ever.

ARTEMIS: I'd not recommend it.

APOLLO: I'm also not a maiden like you, sister. I have wants and needs, and I don't turn any boy who lusts after me into a stag and feed him to my hounds.

ARTEMIS: Never in my immortal years shall I live that down. I still say that man deserved worse. Just be cautious is all I'm asking.

APOLLO: I will, now I shall go and meet my fine prince.

(APOLLO exits. Scene ends. Lights go out.)