Scene 2

(Scene begins with APOLLO standing around, holding a discus)

(Enter ZEPHYRUS Stage L)

APOLLO: Zephyrus, how unexpected to see you here. I didn't think that the winds of jealousy would blow in a storm to ruin my rendezvous. Perhaps I thought too highly of you. I won't make that mistake again.

ZEPHYRUS: Greetings, to you as well, harbinger of pestilence.

APOLLO: I'm known for a lot more than causing plagues. I am a physician, renowned for healing the hearts of man. I am an inspiration to creative minds, a perfect muse to all who gaze upon me. I am the very sun itself, but what are you? You are nothing, you mock his beauty by standing in my way. He deserves more than a lowly minor god. He deserves an Olympian.

ZEPHYRUS: Hyacinth deserves more than a libertine like you. You believe yourself to be superior to everyone. so you take lover after lover, sully them, and then toss them aside. I care too much about him to watch his grace be stripped away by a hedonist.

APOLLO: Oh, I'm the hedonist? My dear, flurry, if you reside in a house of glass then don't even consider tossing a stone. I have heard of your many wives and escapades. I don't know if I'm more disgusted or impressed.

ZEPHYRUS: I admit to a life led by lechery, but I'd be forever chaste if it meant that I could be with him.

APOLLO: Well tell me, oh pompous squall. What happens when danger befalls our precious treasure?

ZEPHYRUS: Who would seek to harm such a glorious man? Would not man, beast, and god alike stand in praise of him? How could any creature bear any malice towards him?

APOLLO: Humans are not like the gods. While we are moved by love, they are moved by hate. They'd sooner kill a man than allow him to break their societal traditions. Being a god of prophecy, I can see the rise and fall of nations, but also the continuation of hate. If any bigot wishes him ill-will because of our love then I won't hesitate to shoot a thousand arrows in his chest before he can shed a single tear. What will you do? Blow out the hate-monger's torches? (Whistling from offstage ) Leave me now. Let our affair retain its intimacy.

(ZEPHYRUS walks Stage L.)

ZEPHYRUS:(aside) While I shall leave your sight, I will not leave your presence. From afar I will spy on your wickedness and hear the fiendish words you say to entice my love. Spill your guts incubus, for I will hear it all. (ZEPHYRUS goes offstage)

(Enter HYACINTH Stage R)

APOLLO: Oh flower of my eye, you enchant me with your elegance.

HYACINTH: Apollo, how joyous it is to see you on such a lovely sunny day. I suppose there's only you to thank for that.

APOLLO: Someone must pull the sun chariot along the sky. I am just doing the job that no one wants.

HYACINTH: The plight of the poor handsome sun god. Forced to soar so high yet sink so low.

APOLLO: Unlike that arrogant chap, Icarus, I will never sink low. Now while we're on the subject of imminent failures, you'll never guess who I ran into.

HYACINTH: With so many people roaming the earth, guessing seems pointless. Plus, guessing will just take time away from hearing your melodic voice.

APOLLO: It was that schmuck, Zephyrus. Pathetic, he was patrolling around the area knowing full well of our date.

HYACINTH: That is rather queer. Zephyrus and I go on plenty of outings and yet you've not once surveilled us.

APOLLO: You've gone on dates with him? For shame, Hyacinth, leading that poor man on. He might start believing you have some romantic enticement to him and that'll only make it harder when we begin courting.