Chapter 34: Tidal Wave

(Leo's POV)

I turn to the building, looking for the fastest way to get up on the roof...

"Come, Claudia!"

At the end of the open corridor, there's a built-in closet that pokes out of the wall. It's just what we need as a step-up.

I hand Kaylee to Claudia, close and zip up her jacket with the little girl inside it, to keep her safe in place.

I look in the little girl's eyes.

"Hold on to Claudia's neck real tight, okay?

"K..." She does as I tell her.

"Up you go!"

Holding both my hands clasped together, Claudia places a foot on them and pulls herself on top of the cabinet.

From there, it's just another push to reach the flat roof.

"Hurry, Leo!"

Placing a foot on the rail, I jump on top of the closet with Claudia.

I know better than to look behind me to the roaring danger that gets closer and closer. One tiny second of distraction can jeopardize all our lives.

I almost throw Claudia and Kaylee over the roof's ledge... They're safe, now.

"Leo!" Claudia shrieks.

Reaching for Claudia's hand, I finally turn to face the roaring dark mass about to crush me from behind.

"Jump!" She yells from the top of her lungs.

I jump, grabbing the ledge with a hand while pulling my legs up and using the wall above the cabinet to boost me up. One hard push and I'm over... I'm on the roof.

Without a moment to spare, I instantly grab Claudia and pull her to a metal pipe, embracing her and Kaylee against it.

"Hold your breath, Kaylee." I tell her, not knowing how much water will hit us.

The little thing closes her mouth and eyes real hard. I lean my head over Claudia's. My body shielding them both.

We feel the exact moment when the dark mass of water crashes against the building, furiously throwing cars, boats, and varied debris at its structure. I pray the building is strong enough, as it shudders violently with each hit and, even though we're high up, water rushes through and around our feet.

Thankfully, that's all we get, other than various scratches and bruises from the effort to survive.

"Caudy!" Kaylee sounds scared, but she's not crying, yet... Strong little girl.

"Sshh... It'll be over soon, baby. Leo is here. He saves people... It's what he does."

Then, Claudia looks into my eyes with a million of unasked questions on the tip of her tongue... Every one of them about Cindy and Jeff...

It would be a miracle if they survived the first wave.

"We need to stay put and wait for the next wave until it's all over." I have to make her understand.

Claudia doesn't say anything... She simply nods slowly. Tears forming in her eyes.

"We're all going to be fine..." I caress Kaylee's soft red hair and she turns her big blue eyes to me. "And when this all stops, I'll go get your mama and Jeff, alright?"

Kaylee nods and I'm amazed how smart and calm she is.

"You know? We make a great team, don't you think?"

Kaylee smiles and nods again. I can't frigging resist it and drop a kiss on her hair. And then, I look up to my crazy girl's face.

"Hey..." I whisper softly.

"Hi..."

This time, I catch all the sweet love that Claudia has in her eyes...for me.

"I'm so glad you got here at the right time... What would I do without you?" She whispers back.

Our foreheads touch.

"You'd survive... For me ...For them... But I'm also really fucking glad I got here, too!"

"Leo!"

"Oh... Sorry!"

But Kaylee seems too exhausted to be paying attention to anything. She holds on to Claudia with partially closed eyelids.

"The water is retreating... But we're not safe, yet."

"Do you think...they had a chance?" Claudia's voice is so weak.

I let out a long breath. "If the building survived the hit, the unit seemed very strong and I felt the door sealing well when I closed it... But we have to account the fact that they'll be in the freezing cold for hours... It won't be easy."

"At least they have each other..." Claudia sighed. "You know I would have done the same if it was you."

I roll my eyes. "Yes, I know... Women in love are a menace!" I bare my teeth at her in a silent promise that gets a smile from Claudia.

"So... They're together, huh?"

"Oh, Jeff and Cindy? No, not technically... Not yet, at least, but it'll happen."

"Good... One last thing for me to worry about." I immediately scratch Jeff's name from my mental list of problems.

As the water retreats with more violence, the noise of debris screeching on the walls raises the hair on the back of my neck.

We can't see the restaurant, as it's still completely covered in water.

"Leo! Look!" Claudia points.

There are other people shouting and waving from other roofs.

"You're okay?" I check on Claudia first.

"Yeah..."

Standing up, I wave back and also find a group of people approaching from the other end of the hotel roof.

I instruct them about the next waves and reassure them that help will be coming soon.

And then, the second wave comes...