Prologue- Thank God For The ADA

Winona Tarkett looked over herself in the mirror, contemplating if her outfit was good enough. She had to meet her interpreter in 30 minutes, so she didn't have much time to be picky over what she wore, but at the same time, she absolutely had to be picky over what she wore. She was interviewing for a job, after all. She looked in her closet again and decided that she had on the best outfit of everything she had. She didn't have much since she hadn't found much in the way of jobs since she had moved to Lincoln, being as her "disability" made it impossible for her to do several kinds of jobs.

Winona didn't see herself as disabled, but she knew the rest of the world did. To the rest of the world, she was just a woman that was unable to speak. But Winona could speak, just not in a way that a lot of people understood. Winona was only able to speak in sign language, as the woman had been born utterly and completely mute. She was able to hear perfectly, she just couldn't speak. Because of this, her parents had taught her sign language as a young child, and Winona was long since fluent in the language. She sighed, one of the few things she could do. Sighing was, after all, just exhaling sarcastically.

She looked herself over once more, decided she looked good enough, and exited her room. She grabbed her keys and went out to her car. It had been a fun time getting her license and her insurance without being able to speak. She didn't consider herself disabled, but damn, her muteness got in the way sometimes. Her interpreter was going to meet her at the location of the job interview, so she knew she had better get going. She had never actually met her interpreter before, but she had heard all sorts of good things about her. That was one thing she missed about Arizona. She had known the interpreter she had back home for years as they had been college roommates, but since Winona had moved, they had lost touch.

As soon as she turned on her car, the radio started blasting with some popular song that Winona, unfortunately, knew the lyrics to. She didn't necessarily like the song, but she heard it often enough that she had learned the lyrics to it. She started to mouth the words of the song, the closest she would ever come to singing. That was one bad thing about being mute. She loved listening to music, but she couldn't sing along. She had learned to play the piano at a young age, but so had a lot of people. When it came to music, she didn't stick out at all, and she never would. The job she was applying for would be the closest thing to sticking out in the music world she would ever come to.

It wasn't long before she got to her destination: Pinnacle Bank Arena. She was applying to be an interpreter at the arena. There hadn't really been an opening, but Winona had been lucky enough to meet one of the managers of the arena, and through a conversation that consisted of only text on Winona's end, he had learned that her degree was in interpreting. He had then asked if she would like to interpret at Pinnacle Bank, and she had agreed. After all, she desperately needed a job. So he had set up the interview, and it was up to Winona to find an interpreter for her. Funny, how she was going to be interviewing for an interpreter spot, but she needed an interpreter to even do the interview.

Thankfully, she could find an interpreter rather easily. Because she only used sign language, she fit right in with the deaf community. It didn't make much sense, considering she could hear, but she fit in with deaf people more than she did hearing people. After all, they spoke the same language that she did. So Winona had asked around, and some of her new deaf friends had all recommended the same interpreter to her, so Winona had emailed her, asking her to interpret for her. The woman had agreed, and Winona had herself an interpreter. Now she just needed to ace the interview, and her life would be coming together. Finally.

She had been the only child of her parents, so when they died, she hadn't had any family to turn to. She had simply taken a dart, thrown it at a map of the United States, and taken the money that was left from her parent's life insurance policy and moved where her dart had landed, which had been Lincoln, Nebraska. But now the money was running out, and another unexpected life event had led Winona to need a job.