Chapter 1 - "Do anything, but let it produce joy."

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only on the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day began.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible. For such a title you'd think he wouldn't miss the newborn not a street away, wrapped tightly in a box at a crossroads of park pathways.

Her curious brown eyes stopped on a man, he peeked his head over her with an amused look "oh hello, I'm Horse." He whispered euphorically. Although he didn't have shoes, he seemed ecstatic to have found a potential friend.

Her small hand wrapped around his rough pinkie "Heee! Horse found you aren't you lucky" pausing for a moment in thought "should that be your name?" This earnt him a quizzical look form the baby "No okay, maybe Luci then"

From then on, she was Luci and they were inseparable.

Before she could walk, she was Horse's accomplice, making a living off the streets with his wits and charisma. At 6 she learnt the in's and out's, the do's and don'ts of street life.

One of those day's she lost a shoe to a slightly over baked senile lady at one of the homeless shelters, she kept patting them like a cat calling them Rudy.

Firstly, Luci never left her belongings alone again secondly, she learnt she had a gift. They both knew walking barefoot wasn't a good idea in in the city, riding on Horses shoulders until he needed a break, like any pony.

Reluctantly letting her walk a bit, she evidently stepped on something sharp slicing her foot. Luci was still lucky, as fast as the pain came it went. Horse was quick to her aid, but all he could do was wipe away the little blood that came from seemingly nowhere.

He might've been slightly undereducated, but his abilities of reading people were better than any psych major. He knew she wasn't bluffing. They both knew she was different and they both kept it secret. Continuing to get up to mischief.

Among the Seven Hargreeves collected was number 6 soon to given the name Ben, the opposite of how extraordinary he truly was. When his age matched his number the troubles he faced were similar to like Luci's. Every day was a schedule, every week a test, every month a pushed limit and every year added a weight on his heart. He stayed kind none the less, whilst haunted by his gifts.

Most children their age was afraid of monsters under their bed, but Ben was that darkness and Luci was never scared of the dark.

***

Little over a 7 years old

The murky blue cast of the sky made it feel colder than it was, they hadn't been walking long but Luci could sense Horse was losing his patience, his banged-up shoes scrapping the pavement like his goal was to wear them out before nightfall, which was soon.

The city faded until all she could hear was his steps, turning trying to raise a brow both went up with her gaze at the childish man. Bending over quite a bit to her level, hands deep in his tattered coat he looked her dead in the eye. "come on, how about here?" His plead came out like a child her own age, so dramatically desperate.

She glanced over at the diner, Giddy's Doughnuts and its perky blonde waiter. Behind her was a shelf of baked goods, her stomach felt like it was twisting tighter. "okay what are we going with?" He shot up so fast all his bones cracked letting out a wholesome smile, showing off the few teeth he had. Horse had an itch for cream fills.

"oh-okay tell her, tell err, you lost your dad an-and you're scared, but he told you if that happened to go here, and you're hungry. She'll fix you up something, you'll stash it then I'll come in?" Luci wasn't stressed her and Horse did a lot of stuff like this since he took her in, or rather out on the streets.