Preface

Upon seeing the films Skyline and Beyond Skyline, a fascination awoke in me. Abduction movies has always been my favorite, as well as world-wide catastrophic events where, believe it or not, there isn't always a happy ending. Something struck a chord in me with this small brainchild of a world built by two men with an idea, and after finishing the sequel and attempting to wrap my head around all the possibilities that could exist in this universe with humans and aliens alike, I actually reached out to one of the original writers, and the director, himself, Liam O'Donnell.

It started as a fluke, mentioning the movie by title on Twitter and talking about how fascinated I was by an alien/action movie somehow managing to do things differently, while still fronting a prominent grit-bit star at the time, Frank Grillo. He actually began to like the tweets, then respond to them. Soon enough, I had drawn some fanart of the two main characters of the sequel and got a response. It was enlightening to know such a small creator, and one like myself, was humbled by anyone reaching out about his creations. Soon enough, I made the off-hand comment about wanting to write and expand on this universe in my own way - and he replied.

He offered to email me the varying scripts of the first two movies, announcing that they were currently working on a third. I had a backstage pass to something I was personally geeking out over, asking various questions I hoped weren't too probing (pardon the pun) and received answers that have led me to my own expansion.

As the third movie, Skyline, is currently in production, I sit here and revel at the fact that anyone can be so human, even in Hollywood. Amid the chaos and the crime, I was glad to find a small creator who had made it onto the screen, into my home, and even shared the same name with me. I was delighted to see that he was excited about sharing his world with me as I was asking about it. Someone else cared on a level I thought only some creators felt, those artists (such as myself) with original characters that someone, believe it or not, will one day ask about and have a familiar passion for.

2021 UPDATE: Skylines 3 is available on Netflix and VOD and has dug its claws into the genre and proven itself to those even new to the fandom. I am honored to have my name in the credits, even if it's just because I did all I could to support the people involved. It's been an amazing ride. Everything I am going to publish is still part of an indefinitely unfinished project, as I've moved on to other things in my life (but this franchise is still a big part of it).

This is for Liam, for sharing a world with me and inspiring me an artist and a writer. Thank you for actually reading this and expressing your love for it all. I can't wait for the next one, brother.

This is also for John Thomas Corley, a war hero and a namesake.