Prologue

Suzette leaned against the banister overlooking the Manor's garden. She would give anything to be out there with Aldus, tending the flowers and brushing the horses. She could see his stooped form, bending to pluck a weed from the soft soil.

Why did she have to be stuck inside with white gloves covering her hands? Hands that wanted to have fresh dirt between her fingers. Hands that wanted to clutch the main of her brown pony, Teddy. Granted, it wasn't a very original name, but for a 9 year old, it was perfect.

Suzette leaned forward further, trying to peak between the banister rails. With a frustrated sigh she stood up and stomped her foot.

"What's the matter Suze?"

Suzette spun around and tripped over her skirts. Arms flailing, she landed, with a most undignified yelp, into the arms of her brother.

"I didn't mean to frighten you." Gil said, not even trying to contain his laughter.

Suzette pushed her brother away with an unladylike huff and glared at him.

"We both know you fully intended to scare me, Gilbertus Philip Cranborne!"

Gilbertus hated his full name. It sounded feminine to his young ears, so he made everyone call him Gil.

Gil was 12 years of age, and he knew how to get on Suzette's nerves no matter the occasion.

"Were you talking to me, Miss Suzette Lilly Cranborne? I am afraid I have no acquaintances with that name. If you wish for a response, I suggest you try my preferred forename."

Suzette hated when Gil used his more advanced English skills to confuse her.

"What did you want with me anyway?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Father and Mother wish to speak with you. You had better hurry." Gil replied, his expression changing from playful, to concerned and serious.

Suzette picked up her skirts and ran off the balcony and through the halls. Her parents' bedroom was on the third floor, so by the time she reached the doorway she was panting in a most unladylike way.

She pushed the door open, without knocking, and entered the room. Mother was in bed, as she had been for the past few weeks. Father was sitting in the old armchair, gently stroking her hand.

"You wished to see me?" Suzette asked, barley remembering her manners.

Mother's dull eyes brightened slightly at the sound of her voice. Father just sat there, not even glancing in Suzette's direction.

"Yes. Your mother and I have some rather distressing news we must share with you." he said simply.

Mother winced at his frankness, but did not interrupt.

"The physician has just left. We have been informed that there is nothing more he can do for your mother."

Suzette froze. She stopped fiddling with the back of her skirts. She stopped swaying restlessly. She stopped breathing. Mothers' eyes were pained and filled with tears as she watched Suzette.

"W-what?" she stammered.

Fathers' eyes were instantly on her face, a fierce scowl written in his features.

"Don't stammer, young lady. Speak out. Speak up." he reprimanded.

Mother glared at the back of his head. Even with this grave news, he would not be lenient with their daughter.

"I said, 'What?'" Suzette corrected.

"Your Mother is dying."

Mother winced again.

Suzette slowly backed towards the door.

"No." she whispered.

"What was that?" her father almost shouted.

"NO!" she yelled and raced from the room.

Suzette could hear her father's enraged voice, demanding she return, but she ran on.

Blinded by her tears, she did not know where she was running, but it did not matter. Nothing mattered.

Suzette collided with someone who caught her before she fell. Looking up through her tears, she saw her brothers' grim face. Tears were also in his eyes.

"She can't go! She can't leave us." Suzette sobbed.

Gil pulled her into a tight embrace, tears streaming down his cheeks as well.

"I know Suze. I know. I don't want her to go either."

They clung to each other, both grieving, both trying to find strength.

"Promise you will never leave me, Gil!" Suzette gasped.

Gil kissed her hair, bent down, and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"I promise."

The following week, Lady Tatiana Cranborne died, and with her, she took the happiness of her two distraught children.