One

(9 Years Later)

The morning sun stretched across the horizon. It brought happiness to many hearts as it rose. All but those residing in Cranborne Manor. Every morning, the sun attempted to brighten the gloom of the few people dwelling there, but to no avail.

Lord Tybalt Cranborne sat in his study, poring over documents and studying figures, like always. If he wasn't in his study, he was on a business trip to London.

Gil rolled off his bed and onto the floor with a grunt. He kicked off the remaining sheets and dressed carelessly. He chose breeches, a white tunic, and a faded surcoat. To Gil, this would be another boring day in the study with his father. If he was lucky, he might be able to sneak a ride through the countryside.

Suzette sat up in her big bed, exhausted from another restless sleep. She got up and rang for her maid, Emeline, to come assist her in dressing. Suzette sat at her vanity and began brushing her hair. She looked at her tired expression and sighed. Normally, she would apply the appropriate cosmetics to make herself appear rested, but not today.

Emeline had been up for hours. She yawned as she made her way towards the kitchen to retrieve Suzette's breakfast. Wiping her hands on her apron, dirty from dusting and scrubbing, she grabbed the tray. The sweet smelling steam from the tea and porridge warmed her face. Her stomach grumbled. She ignored it and walked up the back stairway in the direction of Suzette's bedchamber.

With a soft knock on the door, Emeline entered the room, balancing the tray on her hip.

"Good morning, Miss." She said.

"Good morning, Emeline. What has cook made for us today?"

"Only the best. We have some porridge, eggs and bacon, and toast with strawberry preserves. There is also some fruit and tea." She answered, setting the tray upon the small table in the center of the room. Beside this table were two armchairs and a couch sat against the wall.

"Would you like to dress before you eat, Miss?"

Suzette glanced down at her wrinkled nightgown. Gil would be joining her for breakfast again.

"Yes, Emeline. That would be best."

The maid smiled and walked to the small dressing room.

"Which dress would you like today, Miss?"

"Whatever you wish, Emeline." Suzette said, with a faint smile.

Emeline entered the closet and once again admired the beautiful dresses, petticoats, and skirts. It was nearly impossible to resist being envious of such finery, but somehow, Emeline managed it. She chose a white smock and a green kirtle. Simple, yet not too underdressed.

Emeline helped Suzette dress, then the maid arranged her hair into a bun, leaving a few curls down to frame her face. Suzette had always been told she had lovely hair. It was auburn and wavy like a field of prairie grass in the wind. She was paler than most girls, with rosy cheeks and beautiful green eyes. Her brother also had green eyes, but that was where the similarities ended. Gil had darker hair and very broad shoulders. He was tall and strong, like Lord Cranborne. Suzette was small and petite, like her mother.

Just as she was about to sit in one of the armchairs, there was a knock at the door.

"I will get it, Miss." Emeline said.

She opened the door and saw Gil leaning against the door jamb, messing with his hair. He never could get it quite right.

"My Lord." Emeline stated.