Drag Queen

March 22, 1992

Parenting has  become more and more complex over time, and it increases as your child continues to grow. It must have seemed that it's been a little challenging to do so since Freddie isn't with us, but in reality it's the fact that Celine has reached a certain age in which kids begin to wonder everything around them; even the slight-and awkward-situations.

Today was very interesting. Celine and I were having breakfast together as always, and she had some questions she wanted to have cleared up.

"Mum. What is a drag?"

Surely I wasn't expecting that sort of question. But you never know what kids hear outside of home.

"Why do you ask, honey?"

"The other day uncle Roger said papa looked good in drag"

Last weekend Roger and his family came to visit us, and we were joking about random stuff; including that particular time Queen member became queens. Literally. We weren't aware Celine could have been listening.

I had two options: I could have been honest with her in a gentle way, or I could have lied. I decided to mix a little bit of both.

"See. Drag it's another fancy flamboyant... way of dressing" Like I said. Half-truth, and half lie.

"Do you do it?"

I had to avoid any amusement.

"Not quite my style baby"

"Oh"

She finished her cereal after that, and said no more. She quietly got up from her high purple chair, and without saying a word, she walked quietly to the room we share.

Celine is a smart little girl; I knew she would never let this go. She could mention it again eventually.

In the meantime, I decided to give Roger a phone call just to scold his ass a little.

"Hello?" He didn't take long to pick up this time.

"Hey Roggie. How are you?"

"Good, good. How are you? I'm actually impressed you're calling; we were there just last weekend.

"I know. It's just I was wondering... why you have to mention the word drag in front of my daughter" I said in my 'kick Roger's ass' tone. A tone he feared and liked at the same time.

"Oh well. In my defense you laughed too"

I did, but only because of the way he said it.

"Because you said it with that laugh and everything" I said recalling his face.

"So what's the matter then?"

"I didn't know what to say when Celine asked what a Drag is"

"Is that it? You better be honest with her. She's going to grow and know the truth sooner than we think"

"Shut up! Don't freak me out"

"I'm just joking" He laughed with his stupid laughter.

"So it's okay if I wasn't completely honest with her?"

"She'll be fine. Don't worry"

"At times like these... you know how I wish Freddie was here"

"He knows you're doing a good job, Rosie"

"I hope I am"

"Good. And if it makes you feel better. Freddie would have sucked at explaining that to Celine"

"It would have been fun to help each other out in that situation" I pictured it in my head, and smiled.

"You're smiling aren't you?"

"Stop it. When are you going to come visit again? We already miss you"

"Next month babe. Got a few things to do here first"

"We'll wait for you then, but no more inappropriate conversations do you hear me?"

"Count on it, my lady"

My conversation with Roger got me thinking: how different would it be if Freddie was here to explain that to Celine? Would he struggle like me? I was so focused on doing my best to be a good mother, that sometimes I forget the hard part.

I dragged myself to the room, and lay down on my bed. It was very quiet; it was as if for a moment I didn't have a daughter. I heard weird noises on the bathroom, and the sound of a blow-dryer.

"That has to be you, Freddie"

Bathroom

"What?"

Then the door flew open, and there was my baby; wearing my red velvet dress, heels, and makeup. She made a big effort to walk with the heels. Her hair was a mess, but she looked beautiful to me.

"Honey..." I giggled.

"Look mum! I'm a drag now"

A happy tear ran down cheek. Nothing compares to this, and everything's worth it.