004. Brothers

☂

     Nova could smell so much sadness, anger, and hurt in the room, it was overbearing.  She breathed in heavily, trying to ignore it, just waiting for Diego to finish packing his bag up so they could be off into the city.  Not that Nova exactly wanted to leave.

     "Where's Vanya?" Allison walked in, joining Nova, Klaus, and Five in the kitchen.

     "Oh, she's gone."

     "That's unfortunate."

     "Yeah," Allison breathed.

     "An entire square block.  Forty—two bedrooms, 19 bathrooms, but no, not a single drop of coffee," Five complained.

     "Dad hated caffeine," Allison reminded him.

     "Well, he hated children, too, and he had plenty of us," Klaus sent himself into a laughing fit.  Nova chucked quietly, rubbing Klaus's shoulder gently.

     "I'm taking the car," Five decided.

     "Where are you going?"

     "To get a decent cup of coffee."

     "Do you even know how to drive?"

     Five leaned in, bitterly saying, "I know how to do everything," before using his powers to teleport out of the kitchen.

     Klaus stood up from the chair with his hands out.  "I feel like we should try and stop him, but then again, I also just kinda want to see what happens," he said, before the three paused, hearing a car engine turn over.

     "What do you know, he does," Nova said.

     Nova's ride — among other things — stepped into the room.  "All right, I guess I'll see you guys in, what, ten years?  When Pogo dies?"  Diego asked sassily.

     "Not if you die first," Allison said with crossed arms.

     "Yeah, love you too, sis," he shrugged it off.  "Good luck on your next film.  Hope it turns out better than your marriage, huh?"

     Nova scoffed slightly, used to Diego's usual remarks but not liking how he sassed his siblings so often.  "It was nice to meet you, Allison," Nova smiled at the taller woman.  "I hope our paths cross in the future," she stuck her hand out for Allison to shake, but Allison surprised her by going in for a hug and patting her on the shoulder.  Nova hummed quietly in response, holding back tears for a couple of solid seconds before tearing away.

     "Are—Are we leaving?" Klaus clasped his hands together, following Diego out of the room as Nova swung her duffle bag over her shoulder and followed suit.

     "No, I'm leaving, me and myself," Diego said before Nova shot him a glare.  He was already in the doghouse for earlier.  "Well, me and Nova," he said upon seeing her face.