005. Not Just A Vacuum Cleaner

☂

     There was a certain pair of heels that scared both Diego and Nova, and it had nothing to do with the actual heels.  It had to do with the woman who wore the shoes, and how she could sneak up behind the two with ease, and the last thing they'd hear before death was the clicking of the shoes on the tiled floor.  "Do you seriously still not understand the chain of custody?  If you touch it, I can't use it," Eudora said, standing next to Nova, and behind a crouched Diego.

     "Hi Eudora," Nova smiled.

     Eudora reluctantly smiled back at the girl.  "Hey, Nova.  What are you doing here?  A smart girl like you should know to stay away from a troublemaker like him," Eudora pointed to the back of Diego's head.  Nova chuckled quietly.  

     "Let me save you some time running ballistics," Diego rose to his feet.  "These nine—millimetres haven't been manufactured since nineteen—" 

     "Nineteen sixty—three.  Odd, I know," Eudora took the bullet from him.  "Matching casings were found at a murder scene last night.  Ishmael's Towing."

     "The driver?" Nova asked as the three turned and began walking towards the centre of the store.  Nova furrowed her brows at the sight of the mannequins shot down, complete with bullet holes through their non—existent organs.

     "Found him hanging from the ceiling," Eudora sighed.  "Looks like he must have known something after all."

     "It's a shame nobody told you to go talk to him," Diego said with a shit—eating smile, making Nova slap his arm.

     "In the span of 24 hours, I've had attacks in three different places across town.  Whatever this is, whoever this is, they're not slowing down.  So, if you really give a shit and you've got any fresh ideas, I'm all ears.  Both of you," Eudora looked back and forth between the two with pointed eyebrows.

     "The guy's kid, in the doughnut shop?" Diego asked.

     "I've got units tracking the extended family in case anyone goes after him."

     "What about surveillance?" Nova asked.  "This is a clothing store for crying out loud," Nova looked around, gesturing towards the endless racks.  "It's gotta have footage."

     Eudora shook her head.  "It doesn't exist.  The first unit on the scene clocked two shooters fleeing the premises, wearing, get this," she leaned in closer as Nova and Diego did the same.  "Creepy kids' masks."

     There was a quick pause.  Nova crossed her arms, stroking her chin gently with the thumb on her right hand.  She did this a lot when she fell into deep thought.

     "The city is really going to shit, huh?" Diego said.

     "Coming from the guy dressed in spandex?  It's a wonder why Nova steps out in public with you," Eudora laughed.