Chapter 31

Michael's Dad^^

Michael's POV

I head back downstairs to talk to my dad. It's currently the afternoon bordering on evening, and mom's out for her work. I find my dad sitting at the kitchen table doing some work on his laptop.

"Hey dad, can I talk to you for a bit?" I ask, my fingers playing with the hem of my shirt.

"Yep, give me one second," He replies, typing out a few more things on his computer before turning to me, "What's the matter?"

"Well... I wanted to ask if you were upset that I have a... a boyfriend." I say, not quite looking my dad in the eyes.

"... If this is about that comment I made about children, I'm sorry Michael. I realize now that it was insensitive of me, and I want you to know that I'm perfectly okay with you having a boyfriend. In fact, I wouldn't mind meeting your boyfriend of... what, seven months now?" My dad smiles gently at me. I swallow, feeling my eyes getting wet. Why am I crying? I'm not, no crying for me.

"Thanks dad. It- it means a lot, to me. Um.. I'll discuss it with Th- my boyfriend, about meeting you and mum soon. I had another question for you..."

"Yeah? What is it?"

"Do you know how important you and mum are to me? I know that's a weird question, but my friends are saying I'm basically too dependent on what you guys say, and how I'm just following a path you and mum want for me, not what I really want for myself. A friend said I should ask to see if you know how much your opinions matter to me."

"What do you mean? I'm not quite sure I understand."

"I mean... I almost broke up with my boyfriend... yesterday, because I was scared you didn't like me having a boyfriend, and would rather me have a girlfriend." I bite my lip after I'm done speaking, scared as to how my father would react.

"You... were going to break up with your boyfriend? For what reason? To find a girlfriend later on?" My dad asks, seemingly confused.

"Er.. yeah. Basically."

"I didn't realize our words had such an impact on your decisions. You are your own person, and I'm sorry the way we raised you didn't make you think as such. From now on, know that you are completely free to make your own decisions. However, please make good ones, and ones that make you happy. Don't do drugs or anything, okay? But having a boyfriend versus having a girlfriend won't harm you or anything, so you're free to make the decision on who's good for you."

"Thank you, dad." I smile. He stands up and opens his arms, and I hesitantly hug him. I'm not used to this, my parents aren't very affectionate, and physical touch is pretty rare in my family. It's all business and work...

"I promise that I'll talk to your mother when she gets home. I know she's... more work oriented than I am, but she really wants you to be successful. Believe it or not, she's not very affectionate, and often has trouble showing intimate sides of her, but I'll make her listen, okay? Don't worry about anything."

"Thank you, it means a lot." I say again, resting my head on his shoulder. He pats my back twice before pulling back slightly.

A bit after that, my dad goes back to his work while I head upstairs to my room. I'm really glad I had that talk with my dad, and I had no idea they didn't realize the impact their words had on me. With the new insight, I think I'm able to be more independent, and hopefully I can patch things up with Theo if he's willing to forgive me.

I decide not to call Theo right now, especially since dad hasn't talked to mom yet, and I still don't entirely know her position on the whole "me dating a guy" thing yet. I login to my computer and revise the information for the apartment Rowan and I are going to rent. We're moving in a few days, since it's almost back to school time and we want to get used to the apartment before school starts again. I took the summer off to have some time to relax a bit during my masters, but of course I've been reviewing the material on a daily basis.

I pack a few things in preparation for the move, and I do this for a while before I hear the front door open and close. I head downstairs to see that mom's returned home from work.

"Hello mum," I greet, "how was work?"

"It was alright, the usual." She answers, putting her work materials down. My father walks over and gives her a greeting peck on the cheek.

"Hello dear." She says, returning the chaste kiss.

"Hello. I wanted to talk to you for a bit." My dad says. My mom glances at me for a split second before looking at dad again and nodding.

"Michael, would you like to stay or would you rather leave?" My dad inquires. As much as I don't particularly want to do this, I know it would be better if I heard what my mom has to say from her own mouth.

"I'll stay." I mutter, taking a seat on the couch. My parents follow my action and take a seat in the living room as well.

"Well, I wanted to ask if you know how important you are to us?" My dad asks, and I'm grateful that he doesn't single me out right away.

My mom looks taken back, "I... should hope so? What is this about?"

"It's come to my recent attention that I've been extremely dependent on what you and dad say, and often take your comments to heart." I explain. My mom glances at me with a confused look on her face.

"I'm not quite sure I understand."

"Your comments have a huge influence on the way Michael acts and thinks, whether you realize it or not. As a parent, I think we should take into consideration more what we say and how we say things around our son." Dad says.

"I see," Mom murmurs, "I will admit that I did not realize how big of an impact my words had on you, Michael. However, I still stand by what I said, as I meant every word." My heart sinks a little at that.

"So... You'd really rather I get a girlfriend?" I ask tentatively.

She sighs, "Yes, I do. However, I know that you seem to be happy with your boyfriend, and it's not like having a male partner will affect your grades or your future much. On the other hand, if I find that your performance does drop due to you being with a boy, or simply a relationship in general, I will not be happy." She says sternly.

"Yes mum." I nod. It's understandable, I suppose. Of course she wouldn't approve if a relationship dragged my marks down. If I was a parent, I wouldn't either.

Now that my parents and I are all cleared up, it's time to talk to Theo.