I

The footsteps of the guard echoed throughout the dark corridors, the only light source being the glaring light bulbs that lit the never-ending passageway between the cells. The other prisoners watched the guard warily, none of them making a sound. The only other noise was the constant dripping of the leaky pipe a few inches from Victor’s cell. The footsteps stopped, and Victor could see the guard looming over him from the shadow that had formed on the ground. He looked up and squinted, meeting the beady eyes that had appeared before him.

“There’s another letter for you,” he scowled, slipping it between the bars. Victor snatched the letter from the guard’s outstretched hand, quickly ripped it open, and unfolded the letter that was inside. His eyes softened and he smiled slightly as he read its contents. It was from his mother. Victor stood up, walked over to his bed, and slipped the letter under the mattress, along with all the other letters he had kept for the ten years he had been spending in prison.

His mother was the only one he loved in the world. After discovering that his son was accused of serial murder, Victor’s father disowned him and left. His mother, however, nonetheless still loved him and had faith in him. Upon learning this, she grew anxious, but was relieved that she was still able to write to Victor and care for him even while he was in prison.

Victor sat down on the edge of the rigid mattress, listening to the footsteps of the guard as he walked away. His eyes hardened at the empty, untouched mattress on the other side of the cell. A life sentence in prison—for doing nothing wrong! Why him? The more he pondered about it, the more frustrated and restless he grew. He longed to be with his mother, to be able to wake up every morning with fresh, hot breakfast on his table, or to be able to assist her with the chores around the house. And his father—the moment when he heard that Victor had been accused, he immediately packed his bags and left without a second thought. It was an accusation! He never committed murder. He sighed, defeated, and lay down. Closing his eyes, he longed for his nightmare to end. Before he knew it, Victor had dozed off, his bitter hate still buried deep within his heart.