IV

Five days had past after the announcement of Victor’s release from prison. After the incident, Victor felt as if he had no more reason to leave—it mattered not whether he stayed or left. The guards had woken him up earlier than usual to complete the enormous amount of unnecessary paperwork for his release, as well as a full body examination. He trudged out the main entrance with the envelope of letters he had collected over the years. Utterly exhausted, both mentally and physically, Victor’s feet seemed to be on autopilot as he made his way home.

As he continued to amble on his way, he noticed that the people around him began to cast nasty glares at him.

“Get over here quickly, dear. That’s the serial killer,” one woman whispered, grabbing her son’s wrist and pulling him into the house, before slamming the door. Many other villagers had similar reactions. Before he knew it, all the doors had been shut and locked at his presence. Victor lost himself in his thoughts, and suddenly remembered Kevin’s words. He cursed, wondering why he had to remember that psychopath now.

You can’t have something terrible happen to you and just simply sit around.

First, being under the assumption of serial murder, then, his mother’s death, and now isolation from society—all for doing nothing wrong. What next?

Ten years! How do you stand that? I don’t get it!

Soon, he found Kevin’s thoughts mirroring his own. His eyes landed on a rusty kitchen knife in a nearby alley.

You should just kill them.

Kevin’s voice echoed in his head for the last time before his world turned blood red.