Initiation

Alice's body is taken out of the building by the police. When the owner called them, I could see Saira tensing. I have a feeling that she doesn't like police, even though these ones are on our side. Now, Saira is in the corner of the room, trying to stay out of the way. Her arms are wrapped around her body, as if she's cold, but her expression flashes with anger whenever an officer comes close to her.

I look down at the head police officer, who's interviewing Aaron and me. He has short blonde hair and a mustache, as well as a yellow notepad he keeps jotting notes in. He asks the generic questions: Where were you when the body was found, Why were you there, Who are you? Then, he asks who discovered the body. Without thinking, I say, "Our new camera person, Saira. She's over there." I gesture behind me, and can feel the stab of Saira's anger in my back.

The officer nods, jots down something, then walks around me to get to Saira. I turn around, watching the man make his way across the room to Saira's corner. I can't hear what they're saying, but I can tell that Saira is pissing the officer off. 

"You know, it would be a lot easier if you just asked her out. The worst thing to happen would be her turning you down," Aaron mutters. I turn my head and scowl at him, and he smiles. "Just saying, Zak. Besides, it's clear that you like her. Even a blind person could see that," he continues. I roll my eyes, and look back at Saira. Her eyes are locked on the officer, who now looks to be ready to hit her.

Anger wells up within me, and I have to force it down. "You know how I feel about women, Aaron," I say. My friend laughs quietly, and I glare at him. He still smiles, and says, "Trust me, Zak. Anyone who tried to hurt Saira-whether alive or dead-would get their ass kicked. You can just tell that she isn't the kind of person to take shit from anyone."

I roll my eyes, then look back at the officer and Saira. He looks sad now, and he turns and walks away from Saira, who watches him go with anger and triumph in her eyes. A scowl in place on my face, I walk towards her. When she sees me, her face contorts into a scowl as well, and her arms fold to mimic me.

We stare at each other for about five minutes, neither of us speaking. Finally, I break the tension between us by asking, "What did you say to him?" Saira shrugs, her face betraying no emotion as she says, "I told him about his son. He didn't believe me, that I talked to Alice's ghost. So, I talked about his son. Only things that he and his son would know. He seemed to believe me after that." Bitterness tinges her words, but I ignore it as I roll my eyes skyward. 

"Just because you have the power to see and hear ghosts, Saira, doesn't mean you always should relate what they're saying." Saira snorts, and I stare at her. I can see her visual defenses coming down, but now I can feel her hot anger, another shield protecting her true feelings.

"Yeah, I know," she says, annoyance sparking off her words now, "Or else everyone in my building would know that the girl who overdosed three floors down liked country music. Or that Miley Cher liked to make fun of her boyfriends on Facebook. Or that Mikayla Sanchez dated half the boys in town then got murdered by one of them when he found out she was cheating. Yeah, Zak, I know how to keep my mouth shut. I have been since I was five. It's not a new subject to me."

I can only stare as Saira pushes past me. I can hear her leave the house, but I still don't react. Aaron is the one that pulls me out of it by asking, "I'm guessing it didn't go well?" I turn towards him, and say, "I didn't ask her out, Aaron. I couldn't. Not when she's practically yelling at me."

Aaron shakes his head, a smile curling his lips. "Love is always hard, Zak. You should know that by now. Bu I have a feeling that this love will be even harder," he says. I roll my eyes, and say, "Thanks, Aaron. Nice pep talk." My friend laughs, and says, "Just don't let this one get away, Zak. No matter the trials, I'm sure that Saira is one hell of a catch."