9 | paradise

9 | PARADISE

Tara, Anakin, R-2 and Padmé all were on the way to Naboo to keep Padmé safe from her threats

Tara, Anakin, R-2 and Padmé all were on the way to Naboo to keep Padmé safe from her threats. They were eating in a small restaurant for a quick stop on the way to Naboo, eating the food up quickly. "Must be difficult, having sworn your life to the Jedi... not being able to visit the places you like or do the things you like." Padme commented with Anakin.

"Or be with the people that I love." Anakin mumbled.

"Are you allowed to love? I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi?" Padme inquired, truly curious about the rules.

"Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love... is central to a Jedi's life. So you might say that we are encouraged to love." Anakin explain his own logic.

"It's a bit more complicated than that." Tara pitched in.

* * *

Once Padmé, Tara, R2 and Anakin were all in Naboo, they headed toward Padme's childhood home, the grand palace. "I wasn't the youngest queen ever elected...but now that I think back on it, I'm not sure I was old enough. I'm not sure I was ready." Padme contemplated on her life as the nostalgia kicked in because of her surroundings.

"The people you served thought you did a good job. I heard they even tried to amend the constitution so you could stay in office." Anakin mentioned.

"I was relieved when my two terms were up. But when the queen asked me to serve as senator...I couldn't refuse her." Padme sighed, explaining why she remained in power.

"I agree with her. I think the Republic needs you. I'm glad that you chose to serve." Tara smiled at Padme. Padme shot her back a small grin in return, gladly accepting the compliment from a fellow woman in power.

* * *

Anakin and Tara stood on either side of the meeting room as Padme discussed pressing political matters with her comrades. "If the senate votes to create an army, I'm sure it's going to push us into a civil war."
Padme told one of her councilmen.

"It's unthinkable. There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic." One of the advisors, an older man, argued.

"Do you see any way through negotiations? To bring the separatists back into the Republic?" The current Queen of Naboo asked Padme.

"Not if they feel threatened. My guess is they'll turn to the Trade Federations or the Commerce Guilds for help." Padme gave her input. Tara listened, quite intrigued in the conversation.