Part 5

When their fifth date came around, Joe was more nervous than anything. He felt silly for it. They were just two grown men, going out on dates. It didn't have to mean anything and they could stop whenever they wanted.

Ben picked him up and they got dinner. It was simple to take out, but they went back to Ben's place and just sat around watching movies. It shouldn't have felt as intimate as it did. It should have felt boring and lame and Joe shouldn't have been impressed but he was.

"I've never brought someone here before," Ben confessed to him as they fought over the last steamed wanton. "I don't date a lot."

"I don't date ever," Joe admitted to him.

"Now why is that?" Ben asked, stabbing the wanton with his fork. He held it out for Joe to take, but he didn't.

Joe didn't realize it until then but all the things he had been holding onto began pouring out of him. He confessed that a few years ago his dad got very sick very quickly. He was gone before anybody knew what to do. He broke down and went home only to find his girlfriend in bed with a good friend of his. Joe knew was being dramatic but he changed that day. He lost far too much all at once and just shut down.

He cut people off and focused on his job and he's been that way ever since. Until now. Despite the food being laid out between them, Joe moved forward and kissed Ben openly. The blond held off and at first, Joe thought he had done something wrong. That he had made a mistake by being so open with him, but then the walls were broken down and Ben was kissing him back. Really kissing him.

Frankie padded over, stealing some of the food from Joe's plate, but the man couldn't care in the last. His entire focus was on the man before him.

Joe didn't remember the last time he made out with someone so carelessly. He felt like a teenager again. Happy-go-lucky hoping to get lucky. They didn't have sex that night but when Joe finally left Ben's place he felt more hopeful than ever.

👑

Ben didn't plan on having Joe come to his place. He had thought it over and over what the fuck he was going to do. He couldn't continue to lie to him though Ben reassured himself it wasn't a lie. Rami only paid him for two dates and after their little meeting, Ben made the decision to return all the money he had even given him.

It was a small hole in his wallet but he'd survive it. He contacted Rami and told him to meet him at the place they first met to go over the transaction and he tossed over the envelope without a wink.

"It's all there. Check it if you want to." Ben told him.

"You can't be serious.." Rami muttered. "This is...dude come on. Can you even do a real relationship?"

The words stung deeply. Ben wasn't some cold-hearted monster that would cheat on Ben endlessly. He was a regular guy who technically worked in the sex industry. Ben would change that, however.

"I am serious. I like him and whether or not you approve that doesn't really matter." Ben mentioned.

"Are you going to tell him the truth?" Rami asked him. "If you don't, I will."

"I'll do what I have to do. This doesn't concern you any longer Malek. You've got your money. As far as I am concerned, this transaction never took place."

With that Ben took off, leaving Rami and his money in the dust.

For a small moment, Ben did think about ending it. About telling Joe it wouldn't work out and that he deserved better. He also thought about telling Joe the truth and dealing with the consequences, but he couldn't. Joe had been hurt before and he didn't want to hurt him again. He invited Joe to his safe space, his sanctuary. They ate cheap take out and made out on the floor. It was the more real experience Ben's had in quite a while. And he looked forward to more just like it.