we don't need to change

"Never assume that loud is strong and quiet is weak."
—unknown

Being an introvert is like being a vampire bat; everyone assumes we hate being this way, when really, we wouldn't choose to be anything else. We also really like the darkness.

For the most part we enjoy spending time in our own minds. It comes with its challenges, of course, but it also allows us to be creative and make a mental space for ourselves that feels comfortable and safe. We have rich inner worlds that put reality to shame, and we can dream up countless settings and scenarios to entertain ourselves with if the need arises.

If overthinking is the introvert's curse, then creativity is our gift.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain aspects to being an extrovert that I do envy. They seem to struggle so much less in social situations and somehow manage to converse with ease, and their often bubbly personalities ensure that they're included in whatever is going on. I know I don't speak for all of them, but as a rule, they do seem to have an easier time of it.

But that said, I like being alone. I like spending time in my own mind. I wouldn't change my awkward and sometimes misunderstood self for extroversion even if I could, and sometimes that seems to be hard for people to understand. Why wouldn't I want to be around people? Why wouldn't I trade my inner world for an easier reality?

Because this is who I am.

I'm quiet, I'm private, and I'd rather surround myself with cats than people. I can honestly say that I like this about myself, and I consider the creativity that comes spending time in my own company and reflecting on things to be one of my strengths.

In a world where being an introvert can often be seen as a weakness, don't let yourself forget that you have depths and strengths that some people simply do not understand. You don't need to be anyone else; you're you. The world is better for having you in it.

What is one strength you feel you have as an introvert? Or, if you're an extrovert, what is one way you feel you make the world a better place?