Episode 7 : Impulsive

Hayley looked at her watch, not bothering to be discrete about it. Nearly nine o'clock. She'd sent the landlady a text earlier saying she was running late because she had to deal with a work-related emergency. Which she was, kind of. After all, Jenna was working to get Reinheart to pay her rent. And Hayley was here because he asked Jenna to bring her along. Although why he did was still a mystery to Hayley.

Was it because Gabriel was there? Was she his date? That didn't make sense, as she hadn't gotten a sense that the man was interested in her in the slightest. After giving her his car key, he all but ignored her. His attention had all been focused on Suzy, and when they'd left together, he didn't even bother to get his key back. Which was why, she supposed, Reinheart gave them a ride home. Even if he hadn't shown particular interest in Hayley — or any other woman at the party — as he happily chatted with all the women who introduced themselves to him and hung out at his table.

His dinner invitation was completely baffling. Maybe he did like Jenna, after all. The pair chatted like old friends, and he regaled her with stories of his wild college years at MIT. Jenna was too captivated by Reinheart's charm that Hayley was sure her friend had forgotten she was there.

Hayley didn't say much, and neither did Gabriel. As they ate, he would occasionally regard her with a neutral expression that was neither curious nor interested. It was disconcerting, really, because the man was, well, utterly hot.

She'd seem photos of him online, but, unlike Jenna, Hayley never paid much attention to people who were famous for being rich. Her focus was on what celebrities wore, but only celebrities whom she found interesting. Who made statements not just with their clothes but with their work, their advocacies. Gabriel always dressed well and wore his clothes like a dream, but if his outfits made a statement, it was simply to remind people he had money. Even his ex-girlfriend Tallah Spencer, with whom he was seen with most often, always played it safe with her fashion choices.

But seeing him tonight, up close and unmasked, she felt the familiar nervousness that came with being in close quarters with a man so gorgeous he seemed an entirely different species. He had ridiculously pretty lips, the lower one full and sensual. He sported the exquisite jawline so many Asian men seemed to be blessed with. His dark eyes smoldered even with his most casual of glances. Right now, his gaze was making her skin grow warm with awareness.

"This is a really nice restaurant," she said, finally, trying to alleviate the awkward silence between them. She was hoping she wasn't blushing under his gaze. She hardly ever blushed, but then it wasn't every day she came under the scrutiny of someone like him.

"I'm glad you like it," he said. "Jenna said you've never been here before."

"No, I haven't. Do you come here often?" Great, apparently all she could think of to say was cliches.

"A couple of times. Mostly with friends. I prefer a more intimate place for dates."

"But this isn't a date. I mean..." She glanced at Jenna and Reinheart. "Are we here to chaperone them or something?"

The corner of his mouth lifted in amusement. "No."

"Good." She nodded. "I can't really stay, you see. I have an appointment, and I'm already kind of late."

"A date?"

"No, no. I just have to go sign the lease for an apartment and drop off the security deposit."

"And you need to do it tonight?"

"Well, yeah. The landlady won't hold it for us after today."

To her surprise, he got up. "I'll take you."