Episode 20 : Clarity

Hayley woke up languidly. She felt amazing, although a little sore. A grin lifted the corner of her mouth when the memory of the night before.

She raised her head and glanced around. The space on the bed beside her was empty. Sunlight peeped through the curtains that had been drawn shut. She remembered there was a clock on the wall and squinted her eyes to see the time. Eleven a.m. No wonder Gabriel had left: she'd nearly slept the entire morning away.

Flinging the comforter off her, she yawned. According to the invitation, there would be brunch until three, then a party by the pool from five onwards. That meant she had lots of time for a shower. Maybe she'd see Gabriel at brunch.

Fifteen minutes later, she walked downstairs to the dining area dressed in a long, flowy off-white Dior dress with leaf prints. The fabric was even flimsier and sheerer than her dress last night so she wore it over a lace chemise. She thought it was too daring when she first put it on the day before, but today she felt a little more confident, a bit more daring. Last night Gabriel had looked at her, touched her, made love to her like she was the most amazing woman in the world. It was silly to see oneself differently because of a man but there it was. She'd never given her looks too much thought — she was attractive enough, and she knew she cleaned up well if she put in the effort. She had no nagging insecurities of any sort about her appearance, but neither did she have an overwhelming supply of confidence either.

Today, she felt like a butterfly just released from her cocoon. It was stupid thought but she couldn't help grinning as she walked through the house, saying good morning to the other guests. There was even a spring to her step.

Gabriel wasn't at brunch. She didn't see anyone she knew, so she sat down by herself with a mug of coffee and a danish. She had a few messages on her phone, one of them from Jenna.

OMG, I saw the pix of the party on Instagram. Why didn't you post anything?

Hayley smiled as she texted back:

Sorry. Was having too much fun. Next time?

It wasn't exactly true. She did have fun, only not at the party. Jenna always thought these high society parties were so glamorous and exciting. Hayley didn't want to burst her friend's bubble by telling her about that awful scene in the ladies' room and how it had sent Hayley practically running away from the party. And jumping into the pool with Reinheart.

The thought made her grin even wider. Should she tell Jenna about Reinheart falling into the pool? It would be funny, but then Jenna might want to know what happened after. And why he was so drunk in the first place. Hayley didn't think he would want anyone to know.

So instead, she added, Reinheart's here. Want me to post a selfie with him later?

OMG yes, please. What was he wearing last night? Did he have a date

I don't remember what he was wearing, sorry! No, he didn't have a date. 😉

There wasn't any harm in encouraging her friend's crush, was there?

Yasss! Maybe there's still hope for us.

If any women try to get too chummy with him, I'll throw them into the pool.

You're the best, Hayley!

Oddly, there was no reply from Gabriel after Hayley had texted him twice. She thought about calling him but decided against it. If he was too busy to text her back, he was too busy to answer calls. Maybe he didn't even have his phone with him. She recalled the sight of him yesterday rising from the pool wet and half-naked, a mental image that even now made her mouth go dry. Of course. He might have gone swimming.