Chapter 29

A/N: Hey all you lovely readers, thank you so much for all your support! You guys rock! Don't forget to vote if you liked it and leave a comment on the way out. I get excited every time I see a Wattpadd notification flash on my screen!

I owe a huge thank you to Kenziemarie445 who surprised me with an awesome trailer for This Would Be Paradise! The link and video are on the right side of this chapter, so please go check out her hard work!

I rooted through the keys in the decorative bowl by the front door and found another set that opened the doors. It also looked like it had the spare one for the Taurus. During our exploration of the house, we found a fair amount of supplies. When the owners had left, they had only packed like they were going on a trip. The medical cabinet was still full, so I emptied the contents into one of our bags.

Chloe grimaced when she saw that the child living here was a boy, “Do I have to wear boy clothes?”

“Would you rather wear what you have on forever?”

I had it much worse. The lady of the house was very… old-fashioned. Her wardrobe reflected this.

“You think you have it bad?” I turned to Chloe showing her the hideous floral dress with ruffles and all.

“That looks like something my grandma would wear,” she cracked a smile.

After some digging, I managed to find a couple of T-shirts that would have to do, but I refused to wear the long, ankle skirts she seemed to have an abundance of. They were a tripping hazard. In the boys room I found a sleek, aluminum bat that would come in handy.

I had seen a general store on the main drag when we had entered the town. It was only like a five minute drive from our hideout, but I decided that walking would be better since the engine noise would attract unwanted attention. So on foot it was. That would limit what we could get, although the only thing high on my list was a map.

We would grab some food to add to the dried and canned goods we had found in the house. There was a full flat of water bottles in the pantry, which was probably the best find so far. Also I wanted to see if there was a hardware store on the main drag so that I could see about some more guns and ammo.

“I miss Ethan,” Chloe sniffed, bringing me out of planning mode.

“I miss him too and the others.”

“Do you think we will find ‘em?”

“I hope so.”

“I told Ethan about the recordin’ too ya know.”

I perked up. That was the best news I had heard in a while.

“When did you tell him about it?” More importantly, why had he not mentioned it to me? Was I the only one who didn’t get any information told to them? This irked me to no end.

“A few days ago when I remembered it. He said Darren was probably right about it bein’ a recordin’ and all.”

“This is very good news.”

“You think he will go there?”

“I hope so. It’s the only lead we all have in common. I just need to figure out what this Hargrove place is.”

Chloe hopped up, “I saw a radio in the kitchen.”

I listened to her run across the living room and pad around in the kitchen. Chloe returned with an old fashioned radio that had a dull, silver antenna sticking up.

“It runs on batteries,” she announced. “See no cord.”

She held the thing up proudly then plunked it down on the coffee table. We gathered around as the room was filled with the hissing of the radio frequency. Slowly, she turned the channel dial. After a few minutes, it became apparent that no miracle recording would pop up and say, “Hey you, go to this address. Here are the directions.”