The Jewel of the Land (MinHo) Chapter 1

Once upon a time... In world devoid of any light, a simple girl lay. Her hair the colour of a raven's feathers spread out on her pillow case made of silk and the rising sun gave it a glow of blue as it peeked through the edge of her large window. Stirring slightly, the girl, the princess to be exact, knocked over her pillow without knowing. It wasn't until a chuckle blew over her face, the breath smelling of mint and some other sultry smell that she couldn't quite place in her groggy state, that she let her long lashes flutter open. Wide, brown eyes settled on the face of her prince and it was then that she realized she was no longer a princess and he no longer a prince.

            And she was no longer the same, innocent princess with a precious flower to save.

            The events of last night flooded into the princess’s - no, the newly crowned queen - head and she found her plush, pink lips pulling up at the corners to form a radiant smile. Her expression matched the new king’s and he brought a large hand up to caress her cheek.

            “You dropped your pillow, m’lady,” he noted.

            “It seems I did,” Julia replied, stifling a sleepy giggle.

            “Please, allow me to solve this.” The king tugged his wife towards his muscled body and let her head rest on his chest. “I wouldn’t want the queen to get an ache before she even got a chance to make her first public appearance.”

            "Ah, my king, you shouldn't fret so much over my well-being," the young girl hummed though she was quite pleased with her new arrangement.

            MinHo chuckled beneath her, rocking her head slightly but not saying anything in return.

            It wasn't until a gentle tapping at the door did the two part ways, knowing they'd slept in too long already. The sign was making a steady rise towards the clouds and even if it had been their wedding night the previous night, they as nobles were meant to rise at the same time as the working class that kept the castle running. Or at least in their kingdom that was how it ran.

            As predicted, at the double oak doors that led into their room, a serving lady waited to dote upon the needs of the queen.

            "I beg your pardon, your majesty," she said in a polite tone whilst curtsying to the royal girl. "But I have come to prepare you for the day's events. I plead your understanding my king, but I'll have to pry your new wife away from you if you wish for her to look splendid for today's activities." The maid held her head low, not looking at her clasped hands which she held diligently over her apron, but at the stone floor who's cracks and crannies were cleaner than the very linen the pair slept on.

            "My lady always looks radiant, girl, but if you must take her away then please, do not hesitate. I wouldn't want our people to look at my wife with anything less than admiration; especially with today being of such importance," MinHo replied in a humble tone. He was still in bed, clad in his sleeping apparel though still managing to appear regal. As he spoke, he cast his gaze to Julia who blushed as if she was still exposed though by now she had covered herself in the thin cashmere of her nightgown.

            "Oh, please my lord," Julia brushed off, raising her hand as if to dismiss the comments of the king, but there was no denying that they had touched her heart in a way that only he was capable of.

"Do not allow me to keep you waiting," MinHo ignored the queen, stepping out of bed. Out of respect and politeness the two women turned their heads so he could slip into his robe of silk and only turned face when he addressed them once more. "I will depart first; please take good care of my queen." After speaking to the servant lady he turned to Julia, holding her hand delicately in his own and raising it to his lips.