Chapter Seven

Francis stayed true to his promise. Guards followed me everywhere and even though it annoyed me to no end, I didn't say anything. It was Francis' way of making sure I was safe when I wasn't with him.

Today, Kenna and Greer decided to go and see Lola who was now feeling much better and I decided to accompany them.

Lola was sitting on her window ledge looking out at the view. When she heard us enter, she looked at us and smiled.

The guilt of what I did was eating me alive slowly, Lola's child should have still been alive, but I killed it.

"Lola, you're looking much better now." Greer walked over to hug Lola.

"Yes, I am feeling so much better. I cannot wait to get back to my duties, I am getting bored sitting here." Lola laughed.

"Well, I know I speak for us all when I say that we all missed you very much." Kenna commented.

"Mary, how have you been?" Lola turned her attention to me.

I suddenly felt like I couldn't speak, the words were caught in my throat. "I am fine Lola, but it isn't me we are here to check on, it is you." I managed to get out.

Lola smiled at me and then said with a serious expression on his face, "How is Francis dealing with the king? I heard about all the vile things he said about you."

I sighed and sat down, followed by Kenna and Greer.

"Francis' way of dealing with it, is having guards accompany me everywhere when he can't and keeping me far away from the king. I just have this bad feeling that won't go away. Like the king is going to do something when we least expect it." I admitted.

"The king is unwell. What he needs is a good doctor, and a break from the throne." Greer sighed.

"Yes, but we all know the king is too proud to have a break from his precious throne. In his eyes, no one is even worthy of it. Not even his own sons." Kenna shook her head.

"Well as long as Francis is alive, he will never let any harm come to you Mary." Lola smiled.

"I know, but I don't want him to risk his life for me. At the end of the day, the king is still his father." I looked at my friends who nodded their heads.

Our conversation was interrupted by a guard knocking at the door. "Forgive me your highness, but your presence is urgently requested in the throne room."

I looked at my friends in worry but nodded to the guard. Kenna and Greer accompanied me. We told Lola to stay but she refused and also came along. My heart was racing fast as I wondered what this could all be about.

"Ahh the Queen finally graces us with her presence, I have been waiting." Henry was walking around the throne room.

I looked around to see if I could see my husband, but he wasn't around. Neither was the Queen. An uneasy feeling settled in me and Kenna gripped my hand for support.

"Can someone get this whore away from us please?" Henry pointed at Kenna.

"Kenna stays with me, she is my lady in waiting." I argued.

"Fine, I don't care. Let us just get to the point. The Queen of England is dying, and this is the perfect opportunity for you to put your stake in for the throne." Henry looked at me with power evident in his eyes.

"I cannot do that. I could be beheaded." I gasped in horror.

"You can, and you will. But my son is not capable of ruling England and France. It isn't practical." Henry looked deep in thought.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean that you will marry me. I am more than capable of being king of England and France." Henry smirked at me.

My heart dropped, and my ladies gasped in horror.

"How dare you even suggest something that horrendous. I am married to your son and I love him. You're delusional if you think I will marry you." I raised my voice a little, my anger getting the better of me.

I took a few deep breaths and decided to leave. I needed to tell Francis about this. He would help me.

I turned to leave but guards blocked my exit. "Move" I said.

"They won't let you leave. Not until you agree to my condition. I guess I could order them to take you to the cells if you disobey me." I spun to see the king smiling at me, but not the good kind of smile.

"This is outrageous. I am not your prisoner, and nor will I bend to your will. Unless you have forgotten King Henry, I am Mary Queen of Scotland. Do not threaten me." I glared at the King.

Grabbing the hands of my ladies, I barged past the guards who didn't bother to stop me. I rushed straight to my chambers for my safety. When I entered, Francis was sitting by the fire place with Bash. As soon as we entered both their heads snapped up.

"Mary, where did you go? I was so worried." Francis immediately stood up and rushed over to me.

I looked at Kenna in worry. I had to tell Francis but how? How could I even start the conversation? And would he even believe me?
"Kenna, you never told me where you were going, I got so scared." Bash pulled Kenna into his embrace.

"Oh Bash, it was awful. The King... oh what he said." Kenna buried her face into Bash's shoulder.

"Father? What did he do? Why did you go there?" Francis questioned us.

I took a deep breath before replying, "Well, we went to see Lola but my presence was requested in the throne room, so I went. What I didn't expect to see was just the king. Not even Catherine was there. The king called Kenna a whore."

"How can he say something like that?" Bash exploded.

"He is talking about my wife." Bash was clearly very angry.

"Bash calm down. It is ok. That isn't even the worst part." Kenna tried to comfort her husband.

"What else happened?" Francis asked, I knew he was clearly very angry and was trying to keep his cool.

"Well, he told me to put a claim to the English throne. The Queen is dying. I tried to explain to him that I could be beheaded if it goes wrong but then he... well he said something awful Francis." I shuddered at the thought.

"What else did he say?" Francis gritted out.

"He said that I will do it anyway and that you are not capable to be a king of both France and England. So, he said that I would have to marry him because he is apparently more than capable of being a king to both France and England."

I looked at Francis as soon as I said those words, and his face turned angry and dangerous.

"This ends now. Father has crossed the line, he needs to be taken off the throne right now."

I didn't have time to say anything as Francis stormed out.

Oh no, this wasn't going to end well...