10.02 » escaping matt

AFTER SEVERAL SHOUTS and some questionable sounds, Matt came back into the room with Scott in tow. His hand was bloody, and covering up a wound in his abdomen.

"The evidence is gone. Why don't you just go?" Scott asked.

"You.. you think the evidence mattered that much, huh?" scoffed Matt. "No, I want the book."

"What– what book?"

"The bestiary!" Matt rolled his eyes. "Not just a few pages, I want the entire thing."

Stiles and Derek looked at each other.

"I don't have it. It's Gerard's. What do you want it for, anyway?" Scott questioned.

"I need answers."

"Answers to what?"

"To this."

Magnolia's eyes widened when Matt lifted his shirt, revealing the deep green scales that were spreading up his torso, not unlike the skin of the kanima.

Noticing the looks from the trio in the room, he pushed the gun in his hand against Scott's head. "To the front, McCall!"

The pair exited once more, leaving Jackson in the doorway to guard the powerless threesome.

"Hey," Stiles whispered. "You know what's happening to Matt?"

"I know the book's not gonna help him. You can't just break the rules, not like this."

"What do you mean?" inquired Maggie.

"Universe balances things out. Always does."

"Is it because he's using Jackson to kill people who don't deserve it?"

"And killing people himself," Derek clarified.

"So if Matt breaks the rules of the kanima, he becomes the kanima?" asked Stiles, sounding a little skeptical.

"Balance."

"Will he believe us if we tell him that?"

"Not likely.

"He's gonna kill all of us when he gets that book, isn't he?"

"Yup," Derek concluded. The three of them focused on the ceiling, wondering how they were going to get themselves out of this one.

"All right, so what do we do? Do we just– do we just sit here and wait to die?" Stiles asked in a panic.

"Unless I can figure out a way to push the toxin out of my body faster," said Derek. "Like triggering the healing process."

"Wha–" Stiles gazed down to Derek's hand. "Oh, what are you doing?" Derek's claws were buried deep in his thigh. "Aw, gross."

Stiles sighed. The realization that they could all actually die at any given moment began to sink in. Although he couldn't feel his body, his chest suddenly felt heavy.

"Maggie?"

"Hmm?" she responded.

"I'm sorry you had to be here."

Magnolia blinked. "It's okay, I know you needed the evidence to arrest Matt."

"If I hadn't told Scott about the picture in your phone you wouldn't have been in this situation. I'm so, so sorry."

There was a lowness to Stiles' voice that Maggie rarely heard. It made her nervous.

"I'd rather be here, with my best friends, than be at home with no idea that you're in trouble."