Chapter 25

James drove us to the location with a little golf cart and I was really not looking forward to seeing the man I loved jumping from one car roof to another. When we got there, I saw them speeding the cars through the desert, but I also saw the safety constructions above them and I felt a little bit more relaxed. A little bit. It still looked dangerous as hell.
"We use those robotic arms to support and secure George in his jump or catch him before he falls. It is quite safe. Also, they are not as fast as it looks, otherwise our camera cart wouldn't be able to keep up with them." James laughed at my obviously concerned face and I wasn't too sure if I was relieved by what he said. He took me to a small tent where people where gathered around a screen and gave advice to the actors and stuntmen on the scene. It was much cooler in the tent than outside, and I was so happy when someone handed me a bottle of water. This heat was insane.
"Ah James, great. They are about to do it again, but something is off. Here. Have a look at the last two shots."
The director got into his role almost immediately and threw one instruction after another at the actors outside in the heat. I snuck closer to them, watching what the camera was watching over the small screen. My heart started to race when I saw George, covered in dust and sweat and wearing the authentic clothing of the people in my novel. They started to role again and I immediately tensed up when the cars started driving. I could hear them outside and over the screen and the odd feeling off worry and nausea got me when George climbed out of the driving car and onto the roof of the car. The wind in his hair didn't seem light to me and I really started doubting James' words from earlier. Biting my lip was the only thing that kept me from releasing a scream when my boyfriend literally jumped from one car to the other. Sure, I could see the rope and the harness that were supposed to keep him safe, but still. When George climbed into the other car and I heard the cars slow down, I let out a breath I hadn't even noticed I had been holding in.
"Well, I would say this is a wrap. Great work everyone." James was more than happy, and I was more than relieved that I didn't have to go through this again. The tent door opened and George and his Co-actor Adam Ameen came in. They were covered in dust, sweat and what I hoped was fake blood, but just seeing George again made me happy.
"James! Next time you want to kill me, just do it off camera. I don't want to worry about my body and facial expression when I am dying." George sounded so strange with his American accent but hearing him laugh made up for all of it. Someone handed him a towel and James gave him a pat on the back, a little bit of sand falling out of George's clothes.
"I see you are having fun. Let me introduce you to the woman who is responsible for all of this." James turned around to wave me over to them and I straightened my face.
"Ms. Schneider, this is George Oscar. The main actor and probably the biggest douchebag I know."
George gave me a quick smile. "Nice to see you again. It's been a while; I am happy to see you evolved from your journalism job." He shook my hand, "I was surprised to not see you earlier in the casting process."
I smiled back. "Mr. Oscar, last time I saw you, you were certainly cleaner than now. Glad to see you alive after the scene I just saw. And yes, I gave the casting and everything into the very trusting hands of James here. I am more the writer than the film maker."
James laughed. "So, you two know each other already?"
"I used to work for LP Magazine and have interviewed Mr. Oscar before. You can barely call that knowing each other." I was surprised at how professional I seemed to be able to keep things.
"George, you know this gorgeous woman and haven't introduced me to her yet. How selfish of you." Adam smacked George on the back, and I had to swallow a laugh when more sand and dirt fell off of him. "I am Adam, very pleased to meet you." Smiling he took my hand and gave it a shake, holding on to it way longer than necessary.
"I'm Alexandra, and if we are honest, I am probably more excited to see you. I am a big fan of your work." I smiled at him and tried not to blush. Meeting famous actors still wasn't something I was used too.
"George, we need to shoot the next scene. Have some more water and then go back outside." the executive director took George to go over the script for the scene again and I just watched him go away. This thing with us not being a couple would be very hard for me.
"So, this whole story came out of your pretty head?"
I turned to Adam again and smiled. "Yes, I had worked on it for I don't know how long and never once imagined I would stand here one day."
We were standing in a corner of the tent and I was finally a little bit more relaxed. Talking about my old job and my writing was way easier than watching my boyfriend jump onto driving cars.
"My ex actually loved your novels, so I had a peak into them too, very impressive."
I chuckled "I don't know if I want to discuss impressive things with someone who does things like these for a living." I referred to the car chase scene. "I usually just sit at my desk or on my sofa typing away."
Adam put his hand on my arm. "Don't talk your work down. It requires talent to create something like this world. You can be proud of it."
I didn't want to say it out loud, but truth was, I was indeed really proud of myself. This was my work here. My talent to put words on pages made this whole film possible. The ideas flying through my head where now flying over TV screens. It was a feeling bigger than pride. It was incredible. Moving a strand of my hair back behind my ear I gave Adam my attention again. He was quite handsome, his dark skin stretched over his lean muscles and his eyes were kind, full of joy. I enjoyed talking to him and the fact that I wasn't stuttering or breaking out in sweat was already a big improvement for me. He was a famous actor after all. But maybe I was more equal to him than I had noticed before. I was a famous author after all.