1

Hello! This is another collaboration between me and opesorry . . . She wrote the odds. I wrote the evens.

Enjoy!

November 17th, 2019

Sloane was vacuuming the house once again. The MLB Network crew was going to be there in moments, meaning that her house had to be spotless. Her wonderful husband, Christian Yelich, was once again in the running for MVP after leading his Brewers to a National League Central Championship, and eventual World Series victory.

"Baby. You need to sit," Christian had unplugged the vacuum and guided Sloane to the couch and gave her a gentle kiss. "They're only going to see our couch, Sloane. Which you need to be firmly sitting on."

"You're right... Your mom's place just looked so perfect last year. Now they're in our home and I want to make sure it's perfect, too," she sighed and kissed him, relaxing when his arms wrapped around her.

"Our home looks beautiful, Sloane. You've done a wonderful job preparing it for our guests tonight and our little princess who will be joining us next week," he smiled and kissed her temple, a gentle hand on her tummy.

"I can't believe I'm getting induced a week from today," she smiled, head on his shoulder. "It feels like I've been pregnant forever and for no time at all simultaneously... We have a baby girl who will be here any day."

Christian grinned and kissed her again. "Because you are superwoman. I hope she looks just like her mom," he hummed, taking in Sloane's blue-green eyes, her wavy warm brown hair, and stunning smile.

Christian didn't know what he was in for by wishing for that.

***

By 2 pm, MLB Network had invaded their home, and Sloane was getting anxious. What if she looked swollen on TV? What if she said something dumb if they talked to her?

Christian had convinced her to stay on their cream colored couch, but she desperately needed to use the bathroom, so she decided he could suck it up.

If she had looked down, she would've seen the bright red stain on their couch.

Instead, her water broke on the way to the bathroom as she bumped into a crew guy.

"Find Christian," she told them, making her way to her bedroom and grabbing their hospital bags, trying to take a deep breath through the first contraction.

"Babe. Get yourself to the car, okay? I'll take care of everything. I told them we could Skype in if things are going well," he said softly and grabbed the suitcases, sprinting to the car and picking Sloane up when he saw her struggling. "You're okay, beautiful. Let's have our beautiful baby."

***

Three hours passed and Sloane was currently napping, having gained relief from an epidural.

So when MLB Network FaceTimed him, he answered with a bright grin, informing them that all was going well.

Sloane woke up just in time for them to announce that he had unanimously defended his MVP crown. "Congrats, baby. I knew you'd win," she smiled and kissed him softly.

"Hey now! This is a family show!" The MLB Network announcer smiled, congratulating him again.

Christian pulled away, holding Sloane's hand and running a soothing thumb over her knuckles. "Thank you guys, again. These two years have been so incredible. In so many ways. Keep your eyes peeled for a baby announcement soon," he grinned before hanging up, immediately getting notification after notification from Twitter and Instagram.

"I'm turning this off. We're having a baby soon," he grinned and turned off his phone, running his hand through Sloane's wavy hair. "You're so strong. So beautiful. I love you, Sloane Marie Yelich."

Sloane smiled sleepily and kissed his hand. "You're mine 'til the day I die."

***

After 14 hours of labor, Sloane was finally pushing.

"You're doing amazing. You've got this," he encouraged, holding her thigh as she pushed.

"Good pushes mama! I see a head full of dark hair," the OB smiled, encouraging her to push more as the head came out. "Good, good. Two more. You've got this."

"So close, babe. God I love you," he whispered, watching as their beautiful daughter was born.

"It's a girl! 4:39 am," the doctor noted and laid the crying babe on Sloane's chest.

"Oh sweetie, she's beautiful," Christian whispered, kissing Sloane and feeling their tears mingle. "Thank you, Sloane. This is the most wonderful gift. I love you. I love you so much."

"I love you," Sloane whispered as Christian cut their daughter's cord. "Follow her. Never leave her side," she whispered, growing paler by the second. Christian kissed her again and followed their beautiful baby and Sloane closed her eyes, finally able to get some rest.

"6 pounds 8 ounces," the nurse smiled at Christian, doing the rest of her measurements. "20 inches. A very healthy girl," she assured him, laying the tiny princess in his arms.

"O-oh... Hi. Hi baby girl... I'm your daddy. I'm never letting you go," he whispered and kissed her nose, tears freely falling down his cheeks.

This was the happiest he'd ever been. A stunning daughter. A stunning wife. Nothing would make him happier.

He went to bring the baby over to Sloane, heart sinking when he saw the growing puddle of blood directly beneath Sloane's bed. The doctors rushing to stop the hemorrhaging.

"Sir, you need to go wait in the waiting room. You can take the baby," a nurse said softly, guiding him to a cold plastic chair.

He felt nothing. He was completely numb. She was going to be okay. There was no other choice.

***

Four hours passed, and Christian was confident that Sloane was fine. Which is why he went ahead and had a picture of him taken by a passerby and posted it to Instagram.

"No better way to celebrate an amazing season and another MVP than with my precious angel. Welcome to the world. 11.18.19, 4:39 am."

When Sloane's doctor came out, Christian stood with a smile. "Can I go see her?"

"You should sit, Christian," he said softly, a hand on his shoulder.

The only thing that kept Christian breathing was the beautiful girl in his arms. He couldn't think. He couldn't hear past "We did everything we could."

His world crumbled around him and the only thing keeping him from following suit was the healthy girl in his arms.

Sloane was gone. He was a single father. He was alone.