8

Hey, are you stopping over after work tonight?

Christian texted Elizabeth while supervising Ivy's tummy time. He positioned himself on his stomach directly across from her, watching intently as her big, bright eyes peered into his. "I hope she says yes. Don't you, Ivy?" he asked his daughter, who just widened her eyes and opened her mouth in response. Christian smiled.

Christian and Elizabeth's relationship was to the point Christian was starting to consider Elizabeth a real friend. They had hung out fairly consistently over the past few weeks. She was helpful. Supportive. Most importantly, so, so incredibly kind.

It genuinely seemed like all she cared about was making Christian feel like he was being a good dad. She never wanted anything from him. She never asked too many questions. She just sat with him – her presence always calming him down. Being around her was like meditation. Soul-cleansing. Cathartic. He didn't feel like he had to act any sort of way, dress any sort of way. They could just watch movies in their little bubble. He was the closest thing to happy when he was with her, even if he wasn't fully aware of it.

And Ivy loved her. The tiny little babe found consistent comfort in Elizabeth's arms, and Christian welcomed it. The sight was difficult to process sometimes, because Sloane should have been there, but just because Ivy lost her mom didn't mean Ivy shouldn't be loved. He was glad Ivy had made a friend. A much older, very composed, kind-hearted friend.

I'll be there soon. Are you hungry? I'm stopping at Cielito Lindo to pick up tacos, so let me know if you want anything.

He smiled when he saw the text come through, and he felt something akin to relief overcome his body. She was just so good at allaying his pain without realizing she was doing it, and sometimes he didn't even realize that's what she was doing for him.

Of course he was going to eat. He sent her his order and then played the waiting game.

When he heard the knock on his door about an hour later, he welcomed her into his home. "How was work?" he asked as she started to put their respective meals onto plates.

"Good," she said with a smile. She never told him much beyond that regarding her job, and it didn't bother Christian. Christian never discussed his job either. She never asked, so that helped him dodge the topic. He liked their safe, uncomplicated bubble where she didn't know he was a superstar athlete. He had assumed he'd never make another unknowing friend again. He was wrong.

They settled onto the couch and turned on the third Harry Potter movie, as they were slowly making their way through all eight films. Christian had never seen them, and Elizabeth had let him know how much of a travesty that was. So they started the series together.

They always sat far apart on the couch. Elizabeth would usually instantly move a blanket into her lap – always running cold. Today the blanket wasn't on the couch. "Hey, do you know where the blanket is?"

Christian chuckled. "Ivy spit up all over it, so it's in the dirty laundry. Let me go grab you a different one."

"I can get it if you want. Just tell me where it is." She hated making him do anything for her. He had so much on his mind as a single dad. At least she assumed he was a single dad. She never dug deeper than her educated assumption.

Christian was already on his feet. "You're my guest," he said softly before leaving and returning with a blanket. She reached out to grab it from him, but he was quick to place it across her lap. "There you go," he muttered before resuming his position on the other end of the couch.

"Thank you," she responded quietly.

After eating, a prolonged conversation about Ron Weasley, and bringing a fussy Ivy into the living room with them, Christian broached the topic of the holidays, which were quickly approaching. "Are you in town for Christmas?" he asked her.