Eight

[Author's Note: So I decided that from now on I'm going to put link to music that helps me into mood as I write every chapter. Feel free to listen to them as you read on. Let me know what you think! Happy Reading]

***

“Nan?”

Thamrin’s small, hushed voice was filled with confusion.

“Yes, ion nín?” Arwen responded as she put a blanket under his chin before slipping under the same blanket next to him. She watched him softly as his small fingers played with the trimmings of the soft blue blanket.

“Why do we sleep here?” he wondered, his big, icy green eyes stared up at the ceiling of her small apothecary.

“Because our house is in need of a heavy repair,” Arwen answered lightly, trying her best to gently explain their situation to the five year old.

“The ugly heads destroyed our home,” grumbled Thamrin. The little boy pouted, his eyes watered slightly as he remembered the house that they lived in for the past couple years. “I liked our home.”

Arwen’s expression fell.

“I liked it too,” she agreed wistfully, adjusting her head on top of her makeshift pillow made of several pieces of clothing that they had left in the shop. Arwen ran her fingers on top of Thamrin’s head, soothingly brushing his hair, “Do not fret, malthen lass nín. Our house might be destroyed, but no one can ever take our home from us.”

At his nana’s words, Thamrin frowned. “I don’t understand,” he mumbled while playing with a strand of his nana’s dark hair.

“A house is physical. Yes, we lost ours today, but our home remains. My home is wherever I am with you,” she explained, pulling Tham into her arms and hugged him. She planted a loving kiss on his temple. “A house can always be rebuilt. But you,” Arwen smiled playfully as she gently flicked Thamrin’s nose, making the Illyrian boy giggled, “There is only one you in all of the world, and you are irreplaceable. You are my most precious thing in the world.”

Tham’s green eyes lit up at the words that his nana uttered to him.

Gi melin (I love you), nana. I promise I will be the best boy in the world for you.”

His innocent promise warmed her heart. Arwen chuckled in adoration at her son.

“You already are, my golden leaf.”

Thamrin grinned, showing off his white, toothy smile. Arwen lightly pinched his chubby cheek, smiling at her son despite her fatigue.

“We will stay here in the shop for the time being,” she replied. “I know it is not ideal, cramped on the floor with me between these humongous cabinets, as you put it,” Tham laughed at the way his word ‘humongous’ sound like in his nana’s tongue, “But as soon as I have the money, we will rebuild our house again. And this time, you get to choose the color to paint on your bedroom.”

Thamrin’s excited cheer broke the silence. Arwen laughed when he began bombarding her with breathy, excited questions about the possibilities of colors that he can paint on his walls.

“…Yellow! Oh no no no what about green! Yess yess I want green! Please nana can I have green walls?!”

Arwen gave him a playful cringe and closed her ears from Thamrin’s loud squeals.

“I can’t hear you,” she feigned, looking at him with only one eye opened.

“I want GREEN!” Tham declared in a high pitched voice, then with a battle cry he threw his arms around Arwen as if tackling her.