An icy presence.

Izuku's p.o.v

I woke up in a daze. My alarm was buzzing violently on the table beside me, threatening to fall off if I didn't turn it off.

I pressed its button gently with a limp outstretched arm, and sat up.

Thoughts blurred together like clouds over my head, making my usually clear train of thought foggy. I changed into my school uniform, and stared at my tattoo.

Well, I call it a tattoo, but i'm not sure where it came from. I can't quite remember. Its far too smooth and sharp to be the blurry lines of a tattoo. Sometimes I swear I can see it moving from the corner of my eye..

All I do know, is that it appeared around the same time I helped Mister fox.

'It's kind of embarassing to call him Mister fox now, but it really has stuck with me..'

Kacchan had said he was a youkai, and then he stopped showing up. I never saw him again. I'd spend hours calling for him in the forest, stumbling through the foliage day after day, but he never showed.

However, sometimes when I would go and search for him, I would hear the crinkling of leaves behind me, along with my own. Like the ghost of someone following me.

'Perhaps Mister fox was a fragment of my imagination..'

I wrap a bandage around my mark like always, and stumble towards the kitchen after brushing my teeth.

"Good morning Izuku! How did you sleep?"
"I slept alright, don't worry!.."

But truthfully, I was kept awake for most of the night.
'I had that dream again..' I thought to myself in dismay.

I've been having it ever since I was eight, which means i've been having it for eight years since.

It always starts the same.

An autumn afternoon, sun spilling through the leaves. The forest is orange and golden, the air crisp and cool.

I wander aimlessly for a while, then, I come across a clearing at the top of a hill. Even if I travel down the hill, I somehow always manage to appear there sooner or later.

And, the creepiest thing, is that there is always someone waiting for me..

I don't know what they look like.
I don't know who they are.

I didn't even know what they sounded like until recently.

Its a blurry figure, completely impossible to know who exactly. It's like I can see them without seeing them. Like the feeling of someone glaring daggers at you from behind, but less angry,

and more sorrowful.
Melancholic even.

Last night, I heard a proper sentence for the first time. Before, it was like broken static, blended together with the sound of rustling leaves. But now, I finally know what they told me.

"Even if you can't see me, I will be by your side until the day you die.."

It was the voice of a boy about my age, maybe even a year older. It was deep, smooth as butter. It sounded happy and sad at the same time, conflicted.

It sounded like a defeated statement, but also like they were trying to comfort me.

Whenever I wake up from it, I never manage to fall back to sleep.

I open up the cupboard in the kitchen, and pour myself some cereal. I sit in the lounge, pondering what the dream could mean.

I could feel some sort of other presence in the room when I heard a floorboard creak.