*Don't look up*

challenged by-  Smilin01moi

I hope I did well.

don't look up

those were the words that left the old owner's mouth, as he handed us the house keys to the mansion behind me.

don't look up

as soon as he turned around, I lost the battle with myself and looked up. all I saw was nothingness.

don't look up

I wondered why he had uttered those absurd words, and why he seemed completely serious when he said them.

don't look up

I shook my head to clear my thoughts from the strange mutterings of an even stranger old man and focused on the 19th-century beauty in front of me.

don't look up

we worked on the house for days, renovating all the rooms and sleeping in a tent outside. it was a fun experience.

don't look up

finally, the house was complete, with its magnificent marble floors and mahogany bedposts.

don't look up

the story and rumors that surrounded this house suddenly flooded my mind, and I shuddered, wondering if they were true.

don't look up

I remembered that the townspeople had told me about the family that used to live here. a father, a mother, and their little bundle of joy.

don't look up

the bundle of joy soon grew up to be a charming little girl everyone playfully liked to call the prankster.

don't look up

there was not a soul that she didn't play tricks on, but everyone loved her all the same.

don't look up

then suddenly, after the unexpected death of the little girl, the family moved out of the house, saying it had too many memories

don't look up

I cleared my thoughts and went inside, dismissing the story as quickly as it came, writing it off as another rumor.

don't look up

that night, I could not sleep, so I decided to camp outside for just one more night. I couldn't, so I went back inside.

don't look up

later that night, I woke up to the sound of knocking. I opened my door, but there was not a soul in sight.

don't look up

this kept happening for many nights until I had a camera installed near the door

don't look up

the next night when it happened again, I waited till dawn and then saw the footage.

don't look up

as soon as I saw the footage, the knocks repeated themselves, almost as if the person who was knocking knew that they had been caught. that's because there was no one in the footage.

don't look up

the sound echoed again, and this time somewhere from within the house.

don't look up

I searched everywhere for the source of the sound, but I couldn't locate it.

don't look up

I turned the entire house upside-down, emptying cabinets, throwing all the books off shelves and ripping up paintings.

don't look up

I still didn't find anything. the noise seems to be coming from the house itself, unless...

don't look up

the age-old advice from the old man echoed in my ears and I finally made sense of it.

don't look up

you could search underneath the bed, behind the clock, in the closet and everywhere else, but...

don't look up

she hates being seen.

a/n

I'll be honest with you guys, this is 36 words over the limit, but my exams are going on so I'll change it when i edit it later.

by the ways guys, please go follow my friend @Smilin01Moi , she is also doing this challenge on her profile, and her books are also amazing.

thanks.

much love.