Speaking

Cron came back the next day, around mid-morning. She heard him exploring the area in detail, clearing some of the snow to see what was beneath and inspecting every aspect of her sanctuary. It was when he entered the temple proper that she woke, poking her head out to watch him.

She hefted herself up into a more comfortable position to just watch him explore. He was muttering to himself as he inspected everything, noting the repairs her space needed and plans on how to do them.

He turned to the tree itself eventually, eyeing the moss around its base. His thoughtful frown told her that he was considering what to do about it: whether to remove it or leave it be.

After a notable inner debate, he stepped closer to touch the large trunk of the old evergreen she was nestled in as he had done last time, gazing up at the branches he could spot above the open space in the roof.

"The professor said to show respect. I want to fix this place, clean it up and make it look beautiful again. If there's anything you want me to do or not do, let me know. Please."

She smiled. "I shall. Thank you."

Cron jumped, surprised, and then his face lit up. She realized he could hear her even without truly seeing her, and he had assumed it was the evergreen speaking to him.

Interesting.

He continued around her sanctuary, talking with more confidence now as he pointed out things that should be fixed, why they were important, and how he could possibly do them with as little impact as he could manage. She was asleep before she knew it, listening to his gentle tenor washing over her.