Smelling

He'd never told her, but Epigaea had always smelled of earthy mint and something pleasantly floral. Ever since he'd first stumbled upon the little paradise in the mountainside, he'd been able to catch it whenever she was near. He remembered thinking how strange the scent was, and how powerful it could be to his nose.

Now he missed it dearly.

The city smelled of motor oil and sterilizers, of metal and rubber and plastic. Day after day it was saving the greater people he believed could do good, but watching as the worst of them destroyed their planet. The professor seemed sympathetic, but there wasn't much either of them could do about the situation.

So he tended to his seed, day after day. Every morning, every night, every time in-between he tended to the little thing. He ensured the soil was moist enough, but not too damp. He made sure it got plenty of sunlight, especially after the first sprouts sprang out of the earth.

Cron cherished this small token of Epigaea. He toted it everywhere with him. He shared it with his friends (from a safe distance), and the professor helped him research gardening tips that could aid the little bud. His friends and the public in general learned how close he was to caring for this little thing.

He gained followers, people who also couldn't bear the destruction of their organic world. He became the image of the 'going green' age. A resurgence from the early 21st century. The professor told him to be careful, but he was determined to make them all see.

He needed to help the planet grow not suffocate it.

He was so caught up in helping the green movements, he was caught by surprise when the sprout bloomed, and oh. The little white blossom was delicate and beautiful. And the smell.

It smelled like mint. And something pleasantly floral.

Cron immediately showed the professor, who commented that he didn't know mint could smell like this pungent, but Cron wasn't dissuaded. With the professor's help, Cron was able to integrate the blossom into his design. Right next to his power core, which emitted the right frequency of light to help it grow, with a clear panel for others to see.

The little sprout took to the new place so well that the professor was worried about his circuitry. But Cron was somehow certain that this little plant wouldn't hurt him. He just needed to help it grow.